Question about tank battle distance in CM

Hi,

In yours game against the AI or in pbem, could you tell me what is ,according to you, the 'usual' or 'common' distance you battle enemy tanks with your tanks (300 meters? 500 meters? more? less?)

Thanks for the answers smile.gif

Entirely dependent on what tankls I've got vs what tanks the opponent has.

If I feel I have the stronger armor ie Jagdtiger, konigstiger, etc I will try to engage at as long a distance as possible. When my armor is weaker I will try to close the gap first. Regardless always try to get as large a local superiority as possible.

Ok Xavier, let us say that when I think I have the bigger gun, I try to maximize range (Circa 1000-700 m), otherwise range will be 350-500 m as observed on most CM maps.

Where is the fun of a 1500 m shooting range however ? wink.gif

------------------

Nicolas

http://perso.infonie.fr/nicolas.counio/combat_mission1.html

"Deux intellectuels assis vont moins loin qu'une brute qui marche"

Un Taxi Pour Tobrouk

Guest Michael emrys

Once while running down some WW II statistics I came across one that stated that the average range for tank duels was 500 meters. That may have included numbers for the early war (1939-42) though.

It does seem to me that the game is a little bit optimistic about first round hits. My impression is that at normal engagement ranges, it would take an average tank crew two or three rounds to get a burst on target. This was primarily due to the difficulty of estimating the range with the existing optics, plus target obscuration, lighting, gunner's nerves, etc. Then, after getting a hit, a tank (unless it had a really powerful gun or was shooting at a lightly armored target) might have to fire several rounds before it found a "sweet spot" that did enough damage to score a kill.

Michael