A question of FAQs

IIRC, someone in here is working on one. But if not, I would take a first stab at one. Realizing that I'm certainly not the best person to be doing this, what I thought I'd do is start one in this forum with as much as I can reasonably speak to in the first post. Then let others add to/correct what's there. After 25 posts or so I could collate all the responses, delete the original thread and start a new clean thread with the original responses organized better.

1. Is it a waste of my time (i.e., is something coming out from someone else soon)?

2. Would you guys find this of benefit (I would)?

3. Would BTS mind?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest Germanboy

Guachi is the man to talk to. Look at the 'New members please read' thread. I post my post from there again here, because this has FAQ in the title, therefore should attract more oldtimers (another example of the tortous leaps of logic I am feared for)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted in another thread:

Good idea Guachi. Maybe we should just post the question here and who is working on it, to avoid doubling up work. Also, do we have a sort of quick overview of most-repeated questions of the board?

I'll start one anyway, but it is too early for me to think. So the following is off the top of my head, slightly cheeky and by no means exclusive or in order of importance.

1. CM1 as part of a family (areas that will be covered in later games)

2. Roster, absence of.

3. Treatment of LATW (mine do never hit/always set building on fire, this game is dumb)

4. Moral of Waffen-SS/paras not correct

5. Expansion pack

6. Additions (I want these 99 tiles of terrain that may not exist in Western Europe but still looks cool)

7. FOO

8. Air support

9. What weapons are modelled/will new vehicles be included?

10. Why is it not real-time?

12. When will the Pacific mod come out?

13. War movies

14. Suggested reading

15. Effectiveness of HMG against light armour and in general

20. Campaigns, absence of

21. treatment of experience/morale in general

22. Absence of vehicles, chance of them to be included (e.g. Maus, US HT Quad AA)

23. German Überoptics

24. How to PBEM

25. Arty effectiveness (is never right)

26. Skipping HE rounds (not really)

27. What is gamey?

28. Treatment of crews (lack of personal weapons)

29. Information about fire-power, ranges

30. General accessability of information

31. Absence of Chinchillas

32. How much have you sold BTS, why don't tell us, we have a right to know!

33. ??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Andreas

I think I might be ther person to talk to now. I've got a copy of what guachi had been working on and I have updated it a litte. However I think that someone else is working on it too. I have no idea who. Thanks for that list of things needing to be added. That will be a great help.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

This seems to be a much better thread to discuss this. Here is what I wrote in another thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I have a Word doc I wrote up about a month ago which covers some of the basic questions. But who am I to say my answers are the only ones?

The questions I currently have answered are:

What is CM?

Where can I get the demo?

Where can I buy CM?

How much does CM cost?

How long does CM take to ship?

Does CM come with a box and a manual?

Are there any reviews I can read about CM?

Are there any CM websites out there?

Will there be any add-on packs for CM?

What theaters will CM2, CM3, CM4, etc. cover?

When will CM2 be out?

I didn’t notice a CM: Pacific Theater listed.

Can I modify unit data?

Can I modify the textures and sounds?

There are no winter textures in CM.

Where can I download scenarios?

How do I take a screenshot?

What is the latest version of CM?

Are versions 1.00, 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 compatible with each other?

When will TCP/IP play be added?

Why wasn’t TCP/IP play included in the original release?

My (video card, sound card, mouse, etc.) doesn’t work. Help!

I want an OOB screen! (I think this is funny, because I had the answer written up long before the most recent OOB discussion)

Why do squads only have three men displayed?

Can I watch all the movies together?

A REALLY good answer would also include links to juicy discussions (preferably with an 'official' response by Steve.

Jason<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gerbilboy, I think it would be great if all the 'old-timers' pitched in.

Anyone who remembers me proclaiming WAAAYYY back at the begining of April that I was going to do a FAQ qualifies as an old-timer. smile.gif

Obviously, I never finished it. Started, yes. Finished, no. My time the last month has been spent playing CM and doing a unit database (which turned out really cool!)

So I am calling all old-timers to pitch in and answer ONE question. I have answered the above questions. Colin has my answers in doc format and he is absolutely correct that it needs updating as it was written before 1.03 came out.

The 'other' person working on the FAQ is Doug Beman. I suspect he is still having computer problems, otherwise I would have heard more from him by now.

All I ask is that you answer ONE question and perhaps provide some links (although not absolutely necessary as I have about 2000 links already indexed). You write the question and answer, I provide the link, somebody else does the formatting/editing/web hosting.

I regret not having the FAQ done earlier as it would have saved us lots of headaches with newbies. My abilites are geared more towards numbers (which is why I have spent so much time on a database and so little on a FAQ lately).

The CM forum is a GREAT community and I think Steve and Charles would REALLY appreciate if we all pitched in and made a FAQ. Think if it as giving back for the great game they made and all the time they spend reading our posts.

You can send the Q & As to me or perhaps Germanboy would like to help as well? He obviously has a better command of written English than I do and the more help the better.

With a full scale community effort we could have this thing done in a week or two. SO LET'S GET TO IT!!

Jason

a. can downloadable scenarios be played with the demo? answer: no

b. what version is the demo? answer: 1.02

c. can pre-made scenarios be used for quick battles? answer: depends. Quick battles are setup by the computer. If playing against the AI or PBEM, the answer is no. However, you can create a map, either from scratch or by using the same options used in a quick battle. You can then populate the map with bought units. You'll just have to rely upon your opponent to stick to the unit costs you agreed upon before hand. This way you can see the map before purchasing units.

d. can fires spread? answer: no

e. are there hamsters in the game? answer: no, those will come in CM2, particularly the battle for Stalingrad.

Based on previous responses, I'm assuming someone else is working on a FAQ. Therefore, in case these aren't included (especially e), I'm putting them here. Will add more later when I think of them.

Jeff