sized retreats, (or squad sized)

vehicle retreats...

I still can't figure out what withdraw does

either. Why is this better than plotting

their course....

is it kinda like when you back up and keep

firing, type of thing?

No!

The withdraw command means that your unit will instantly(no command delay) turn tail and run. It makes them more vunerable to fire, and they will break easier.

There is no real withdraw feature that lets you perform a slow, shooting retreat, so it's best to have other units lay down area fire to cover the men you want to pull back.

For vehicle retreats, use reverse so as not to turn your weak ass end to the enemy.

The best advice I can give for executing retreats is, don't wait too long. When the enemy is in your face and men are falling all around, it's too late to retreat. You need to be thinking ahead, anticipating possible enemy movements, and begin your retreat before your withdrawal plan [did I mention you should have a plan?] is put in jeopardy by enemy action.

IMO this is an extremely difficult thing to learn and do well.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

You should also use your rear and flank units to ambush people who are snapping at your tail in scenarios where the enemy has ground to make up. I will often throw out security elements, to make flanking really expensive and force the bad guys to come down my kill zones. These are part of my reserve, and sometimes never fight. But if I am getting hosed, I withdraw my main forces andfold my flankers to catch a fast moving enemy looking to sweep up. A Panzercheck can take 2 tanks and a HMG can hose a couple of squads.