tacops demo

Coprolite

I downloaded the tacops4 demo and when I open the game it asks for a file name. How am I supposd to know? I also can't open the manuals because they are too large. I'm no computer guru. Can anyone help? is it true tacops4 has a scenario for a late 70s conflict. I was a Sheridan crewman in the 2nd Cav. then.

>I also can't open the manuals because they are too large. I'm no computer

>guru. Can anyone help?

It is very unusual for a computer to not be able to open an Adobe Reader PDF file. What kind of computer and operating system do you have? How much memory?

>I downloaded the tacops4 demo and when I open the game it asks for a file

>name. How am I supposd to know?

When the file finder dialog appears, navigate to and open the folder named "Battles", then the folder named "US", and then select one of the following scenarios "Basic Training US", "Task Force Frolik 2", or "Task Force Gallagher 6".

>Is it true tacops4 has a scenario for a late 70s conflict.

There is some 1970s equipment in the data base but I don't think that there is any factory provided scenario that uses anything from the 70s. There is an options menu item that will let you exchange contemporary weapons for older weapons but it is a tedious process.

> I was a Sheridan crewman in the 2nd Cav. then.

The Sheridan is in the data base but no scenario uses it.

• 1 month later...

Hoist the Jolly Roger - it's a winner.

My order is winging its way as I type - I even put in for the Military Reference CD, so you should be getting a bit more for that Major smile.gif

I'm based in the UK - any ideas how long delivery time is?

And who said pirates weren't to be trusted?

Cheers

> My order is winging its way as I type - I even put in for

> the Military Reference CD, so you should be getting a bit

> more for that Major

Thanks much. I will add you to the toast list at my familay fiesta this weekend. Just after the Australian and New Zealand armies who paid me yesterday for their TacOps ANZAC v5 licenses. smile.gif

When the game CD arrives, be sure to check the following URL for possible new patches.

http://www.battlefront.com/downloads.html

> Wait a minute Major, I thought you did this b/c of a love

> for the game and the people who play it. I feel so used.

Last year I got a private email from a formerly supportive hobby user who suggested that my military contract work had turned me into a "scheming whore". I would have preferred that he said "good natured" rather than "scheming". smile.gif

I expect you made a bit more from the Australasian contingent than you did off my $40 ;)

So possibly less than a week to wait - cool. Working my way through the user manual and getting up to speed on the demo.

Might be a naive question, but in general terms, what's the difference between the commercial and military versions of TacOps?

Have a good fiesta. I'm off celebrating my wedding anniversary at (I hope) a very nice hotel smile.gif

Cheers

> in general terms, what's the difference between

>the commercial and military versions of TacOps?

The retail version is limited to 20 players during network play. The military version allows more players. The record is about 50 computers on a dedicated LAN at Fort Knox plus a couple of hundred more players who were not on computers.

Originally posted by MajorH:

Last year I got a private email from a formerly supportive hobby user who suggested that my military contract work had turned me into a "scheming whore". I would have preferred that he said "good natured" rather than "scheming". smile.gif

That is funny that someone would begrudge your earning a living that way. Whenever computer games come up and I tell folks what I play I always make it a point to point out the various military users.

Dennis

Major H,

Sounds like my response to being called a rat bastard. I am NOT a Bastard.

Anyway, I understand doing what one must to keep the lights on. The military is getting something decent for its money too bad you don't have a contract to make something better for a rifle.

Thanks for doing what you do. Heck I don't know any other game designers that would even bother with a 'wish list.'