German infantry squads

Another quick question, since I know you guys are out there.

Is there a thread on this forum explaining the various strengths and weaknesses of the german infantry units? For instance, in terms of CM, are the security forces better for certain types of terrain? How about fuseliers, SS, etc.?

I'm afraid my knowledge of German infantry is lacking and there's too many threads involving infantry to sort through them all. If anyone can give a super quick rundown it would be appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jadayne:

Another quick question, since I know you guys are out there.

Is there a thread on this forum explaining the various strengths and weaknesses of the german infantry units? For instance, in terms of CM, are the security forces better for certain types of terrain? How about fuseliers, SS, etc.?

I'm afraid my knowledge of German infantry is lacking and there's too many threads involving infantry to sort through them all. If anyone can give a super quick rundown it would be appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding is that that in this game, the main difference is in the experience and level that the designer gives them (conscript, veteran, etc...). However there may be some differences of equipment among them.

There is a good article on HOW to use infantry formations effectively on Thegamers web site.

Henri

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>For instance, in terms of CM, are the security forces better for certain types of terrain?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually a unit's name has little to do with its strengths and weaknesses. If you want to know what a unit is good for, look up the detailed information, and keep in mind: K98 good at long range, MP40 good at short range, if more than 100 meters, throw at enemy smile.gif

apex

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

I think that there are no differences between squad types other than their weapons load outs.

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff is right. There was a long thread entitled 'Waffen-SS are overprized hamsters' (do a search) in which towards the end the official line comes out, which is what Jeff said. If you want to see the differences, go into the editor, create a battle, select different squads, go into the map preview mode, click on a squad and hit return. A window will appear giving you the abstracted fire-power for the squad over different ranges, from 400m to 500m, methinks. You will also see weapons details and how each weapon contributes to that fire-power. After that it depends on what you want to use the squad for, as you rightly suspected. Fusilier SMG squads are good in close-range fighting, but useless for long-range suppression etc.pp.

For correct employment tactics of any squad, go to the websites linked to above, or even better, when ordering the game splash out another $20 and get yourself Major H's Military Reference Library on CD, in which you will find the US Army Field Manual for, amongst other things, platoons.

Hope that helps.

------------------

Andreas

So it's all just a question of weapons, then.

Mountaineers, for instance, weren't given special training for mountain fighting which, in CM terms, would mean bonuses in rough terrain types or adverse weather conditions (woods, slopes, deep snow)?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jadayne:

So it's all just a question of weapons, then.

Mountaineers, for instance, weren't given special training for mountain fighting which, in CM terms, would mean bonuses in rough terrain types or adverse weather conditions (woods, slopes, deep snow)? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well they were, but that does not really come into it at CM's level I believe (a friend of mine was in the modern German Gebirgsjaeger infantry). It deals more with running on low supplies, long-distance mountain hiking, getting special arty pieces into place with the help of mules etc.pp. Also, towards the end of the war there would not have been that much special training anymore.

------------------

Andreas