What should get fixed first thats On "The List"

Guest tom w

Guest tom w

This is a great game, lets be clear, I would say it is the best computer war game I have ever played.

But there is still a great deal of whineing and complaining going on here.

For WHAT!??

BTS has said they would continue to work on, patch and update what ever they feel needs to be fixed. New features will be tested and added to future releases and they have even said they will try to find a way to patch new features back into their earlier releases like CM1.

So Steve says there is a "LIST"

The list has all the things on it they would like to fix, update or patch when they have time.

The point of my post here is to conduct a poll of what the people who are playing the Gold Demo feel are the most important issues, items, or features to add or fix FIRST.

BTS cannot fix EVERYTHING all at once.

I understand the next BIG thing is to make TCP/IP active and release a patch for that.

I for one FULLY support that direction.

I would like to see a web page with "The List" posted on it where folks here could vote on what they think are the priorities of the items on the list.

Now as the proposer of the web page poll I shuold volunteer to set it up...but I will have to suggest that I will leave that to anyone else who is interested and perhaps has a little more time on their hands than I do right now.

Hope this helps

Just trying to be positive smile.gif

(unlike some individuals who post here)

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I would like to see a web page with "The List" posted on it where folks here could vote on what they think are the priorities of the items on the list.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>As much as I would like that myself I think it was already declined!

Why? I guess it would mean more or less to give other companies a how-to-do-it list for related games. And if you spent time and energy on design decisions you do not want other to simply grab them from a web page.

Also, just think that features on "The List" would be discussed, maybe negatively, even before they are implemented.

Or questions may arise like "Hey, it is on The List, why was it not implemented in Combat Mission 1?. I think it is much more important than [insert feature here]".

A pity, though, because an official list of suggestions with pros and cons would be very interesting. Of course nobody could stop you to make an INOFFICIAL one, if only for reference ...

Guest Germanboy

Good idea - and maybe that would help BTS to focus on valid criticism that leads to real game improvements that lots of people want. And maybe it enables some of the more persistent critics to contribute more positively than they have done so far.

Rant mode on.

So just to be clear about this - I think CM is a great game, and I have said so here and elsewhere time and again. Sure there are some minor flaws in CM, but in a relative comparison it beats everything hands-down.

Would I be upset if Steve and Charles left it as it is and went off to a 5-year Caribbean holiday from the money they hopefully make? No.

Would I love to see them work on getting the kinks out of it? Yes.

So constructive criticism has its place, but one should always keep in mind that this is one hell of a game as it stands. And maybe adjust the tone of the complaints accordingly.

Rant mode off, excuse while I get off my soap-box, and where are those 2 pennies I just had?

------------------

Andreas

I don't think there is that much whining and complaining. Observing and questioning is more like it, with the usual suspects stirring the pot.

But I can tell you from bitter experience that having users "vote" on features is a mistake. While their input is valuable, they often have no idea how things are strung together in a project, and why some "little" changes have really huge potential consequences.

The "voting" users can become very obsessive about pet features, out of all proportion to their actual worth, and can become quite disjointed when they are not immediately implemented. The noise level of one of these guys drowns out the happy hum of many satisfied users.

The developer is best-equipped to determine which changes require what effort with what risks. Compiling a wish list is fine, but we should resist the notion that BTS is somehow obligated to do the forum's bidding.

They have obviously been far more open and responsive than most game/software developers. Do you think they don't have their own list? They read the same whining/complaining/questioning/observing posts that we do. wink.gif

Guest tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

They have obviously been far more open and responsive than most game/software developers.

tom w says:

Yes they have been for sure!

Do you think they don't have their own list? They read the same whining/complaining/questioning/observing posts that we do. wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was suggesting that they do indeed have a list, most of its items are being discussed here, I was just suggesting that it might be interesting to see how we all agree or disagree on the priority of what would/could or should be fixed. I was not suggesting this with the intention that Steve or Charles would be in any way bound by the voting just so that we could all see what other people feel is the MOST important thing to fix next.

Web page list or NOT, voting on it or not

I'm sure BTS has their own agenda and will fix things when ever they want in what ever order make the most sense to them.

I was proposing a way of letting others see a list of what people who post here see as each person's own set of priorities for the game.

I suppose we could do that here in this thread in individual posts.

nothing more

I understant that other developers might benefit from the list so I suppose that's a reason why it is not a good idea. But by the same token other developers can also read ALL about all things we discuss here so .....

it was just a thought

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree a bit here smile.gif If the to do list was published it would help people see what irons are in the fire for improvements wink.gif

The voting isn't a bad idea either IF and only IF it isn't binding to BTS

It would be beneficial to use as a tool to evaluate the importance of various things to the customers. Then those that are feesible for BTS at that date could be adressed in order f importance. BUT BTS is the designer its their baby and this would only be a little help, maybe we'd see less repetitive questions too smile.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out