Pre-sited Artillary Marker

Guest Big Time Software

Simply target artillery on the marker itself. That's all there is too it smile.gif The benefits of firing on that location are automatic. They are faster fire for effect and greater accuracy. Any on map artillery/mortar piece that has not been moved since the beginning of the game can fire at it indirectly (i.e. without line of sight).

Steve

This is awesome, one question though. Is it available for a scenario defender only or will an attacker be able to use it in future games also? It would seem to me that a defender (more time to prepare a defense and coordinate arty) should be able to get more use out of this than an attacker.

[This message has been edited by Bratch (edited 05-13-2000).]

The designer of a scenario determines who gets these markers, and they can be given to both the attacker and the defender. Not all attacks were "hasty", and often enough careful planning was done by the attacking side and possible artillery targets were pre-registered to provide the maximum fire cover for the assault.

Guest GriffinCheng

More dumb question: and I just tell my art piece to fire on that mark directly or should I use any hq units on it?

Griffin.

Guest Big Time Software

HQ units aren't needed to fire on a TRP. (Though any HQ that has "combat" skill can help with accuracy).

Charles

Bratch said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is it available for a scenario defender only or will an attacker be able to use it in future games also? It would seem to me that a defender (more time to prepare a defense and coordinate arty) should be able to get more use out of this than an attacker.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In CMMC, we currently intend to make TRPs available to attackers in the circumstances Moon has indicated. That is, thinking ahead to where trouble will likely come from and having arty ready to hit there. There is an issue about this, however, which we can't resolve until we have the full game. That is, how to distinguish between adjusted and "silent" TRPs.

An adjusted TRP is usually a defensive feature. You have an FO adjust fire onto the spot you think the enemy will come through until you hit it. Thus, you can be pretty well assured of accuracy. OTOH, a silent TRP is not fired on at all until you need it. The idea is to preserve surprise, although in offensive situations it might be impossible to adjust fire anyway due to intervening terrain. So obviously accuracy is not going to be as good as for adjusted TRPs.

So, does CM make any distinction or will CMMC GMs have to improvise something here?

Another question:

Setting up adjusted defensive TRPs is a rather noticeable business. Big guns fire, shells burst (often in areas under enemy observation), and craters are left. Alert enemies will thus deduce where you are planting TRPs and will avoid them, if possible, when they attack you. So does the defender have a chance to spot TRPs on the map? I'm especially interested in TRPs placed during the course of an operation.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm