Recon units in CM missing

Guest Big Time Software

Patrick,

This has been brought up before. As the real life veteran scouts have said before, it isn't the unit it is the experience of the men manning it that matters.

To simulate scout specific units, simply increase their experience ratings. This will increase all their attributes, like stealth and discipline under fire. Calling down artillery is not something associated with scouts any more than any other unit, so this is a non-issue.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Patrick,

This has been brought up before. As the real life veteran scouts have said before, it isn't the unit it is the experience of the men manning it that matters.

To simulate scout specific units, simply increase their experience ratings. This will increase all their attributes, like stealth and discipline under fire. Calling down artillery is not something associated with scouts any more than any other unit, so this is a non-issue.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would pay for an expansion pack which would contain a special type of US Cavalry Jeep .50. It would have a crew of 3 with rifles. There's a cavlry web page that describes these vehicles:

"(talks about how the .50 cal replaced the .30 cal as the main weapon)...Also carried on the (recon) jeep was ammunition for both the machinegun and the three man crew's rifles, personal equipment, radios, and engineer equipment (flares, demolitions, antipersonnel mines). The vehicles were always loaded to the maximum."

Here's the full article:

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/9517/page28.html

It goes on to say that the standard procedure when coming under fire was to bail out of the jeep, something they practiced all the time in training.

It would be really cool to have a vehicle like this, capable of inserting a 3-man rifle team behind the enemy positions, loaded with demo charges and anti-personnel mines.

You could even have an option to make them an FO team, since they had radios. Or did these recon jeep crewss absolutely _never_ serve as FOs?

I'm not sure if the code changes would be worth it but for cavalry fans it sure would be worth buying an expansion pack for it.

But before considering any of this I suppose it would depend upon how accurate that web page is. The entire site seems well-researched to me.

Thanks for your consideration,

Andy

A reconnaissance asset being used in the method you describe, isnt doing reconnaissance, not by the US definition anyway. A recon unit, in its truest sense, only carries weapons for self defense. Like that .50 cal on the jeep. It wasnt there to carry out offensive maneuuvers. They wanted the biggest gun they could carry, just to scare the hell out of who ever discovered them long enough for them to get away. If you want a recon unit that can fight too, play the Germans, there philosophy was a little different, and a lot more aggresssive. As far as the comment about scouts not calling for artillery, I'm not so sure. Todays scouts are one of the Fire Support Officers biggest assets. We were constantly being asigned missions to cover Avenues of Approach by calls for fire and for calling in prepatory fires and smole missions on battalion objectives. I would be interested in hearing if scouts in WWII weren't used for the same things.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScoutPL:

A reconnaissance asset being used in the Todays scouts are one of the Fire Support Officers biggest assets. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My immediate thought is 'radios'. A lot bigger, bulkier, and a lot less reliable in WW 2. So I would be surprised if they did have the same job. They probably could consider themselves lucky to have a platoon net radio.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

I would pay for an expansion pack which would contain a special type of US Cavalry Jeep .50. It would have a crew of 3 with rifles. There's a cavlry web page that describes these vehicles:

"(talks about how the .50 cal replaced the .30 cal as the main weapon)...Also carried on the (recon) jeep was ammunition for both the machinegun and the three man crew's rifles, personal equipment, radios, and engineer equipment (flares, demolitions, antipersonnel mines). The vehicles were always loaded to the maximum."

Here's the full article:

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/9517/page28.html

It goes on to say that the standard procedure when coming under fire was to bail out of the jeep, something they practiced all the time in training.

It would be really cool to have a vehicle like this, capable of inserting a 3-man rifle team behind the enemy positions, loaded with demo charges and anti-personnel mines.

You could even have an option to make them an FO team, since they had radios. Or did these recon jeep crewss absolutely _never_ serve as FOs?

I'm not sure if the code changes would be worth it but for cavalry fans it sure would be worth buying an expansion pack for it.

But before considering any of this I suppose it would depend upon how accurate that web page is. The entire site seems well-researched to me.

Thanks for your consideration,

Andy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just call me GAMEY or the Devil's advocate, BUT would I really, REALLY enjoy playing this game with this recon jeep in mind, I would ALWAYS buy one and be just THRILLED with the opportunnity to order "a vehicle like this, capable of inserting a 3-man rifle team behind the enemy positions, loaded with demo charges and anti-personnel mines". smile.gif

Thats about what we are trying to simulate when we send a MG jeep with a 'zook quick and fast behind enemy lines.

But tactic seems to really annoy some folks here who think is it REALLY gamey?

That was a really GREAT post, Thanks Andy (grunto).

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

I would pay for an expansion pack which would contain a special type of US Cavalry Jeep .50.

Andy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Andy

Sorry to not have replied to your lastest e-mail

I'm having internet problems at home and e-mail problems at work so this is the best I can do until this technical mess gets cleared. Laptop HD crashed at work, (no e-mail) and the water main diggers must have cut the cable at home, so no internet there either.

be back online soon I hope.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 10-11-2000).]