AHHH!! What happened to my beautiful explosions!

I've been playing CM and only CM since I've gotten it, and only recently did this problem crop up. Usually explosions are black oily spurts of smoke with fire inside, at leats this seems to be the CM method of modelling. And having nicely played, i downloaded an explosion mod. i played with and the smoke didn't look quite as oily or two dimensional, bu the basic concept of fire burst with balck around it was there. then for some inexplicable reason, the explosions changed. Now whenever i see an explosion all i get is a little brust off flying bits and a tr5ansparent shockwave...this removes heavily (well maybe not heavily, but still..) from the gaem..is there a way to correct it?

------------------

"...and he was told that the persians were so great in numbers that their arrows would block the sun, to which Leonidas replied 'all the better, for we shall be able to fight in the shade'"

Yeah, I did this once too. Actually I turned off smoke for a reason...had the the screen full of smoke screen or something like that and then later forgot that I had done that and the fiery explosions weren't there...and I'm like, WTF, and then I remembered, "Ahh, I turned them off."