Possible Bug in 1.1b22 QB generator

Guest Andrew Hedges

I'm not sure that this is a bug, but it did cause me to wonder about the computer's selection criteria. I was allies in a 1000 pt. meeting engagement, Armor, with computer picking both sides. I got, IIRC, a greyhound, an M20, 4 Priests, three Stuarts, and a platoon of infantry plus 2 81 mm mortars. Terrain was light trees, modest hills.

I thought that this would be an interesting light armor battle until I saw the first German Tank -- a King Tiger. Then I saw the second German Tank. Another King Tiger! There was also an assortment of HT's, including some mortar HTs, plus, I think, two infantry platoons.

Luckily, I was playing against the AI, so as they moved the Tigers forward, I sent the three stuarts around to flank (one of which got immobilized with the dry grass bog bug), and on managed to destroy a tiger (weak spot, side turret) before the tigers destroyed both Stuarts; as the remaining tiger was turned to face the stuart, one of my priests came from behind some trees and got a side hull penetration.

I don't think that this would have worked nearly as well against a live opponent, though. And when I do TCP games, I like to have the computer pick because I've generally felt that it does a good job of picking interesting, balanced forces, without the sort of race to the top you get if you pick your own (i.e., I have to take the Jumbo because he might take the King Tiger); I'd rather fight more common battles.

So, I guess my question is: when the computer picks the forces, does it normally try to match them qualitatively, or does it pretty much just go on points, and it's just random that I haven't seen matchups like this one before. Or is this a bug?

I have noticed these also, and I am also still perplexed by the unit quality choices that the computer picks.

I have fought (12) QB's using the new beta patch (both v15 and v22) and in all but one, it was all Regular vs. Veteran. Didn't matter if it was combined forces, armor, whatever.

If this is supposed to be a roll of the dice, shouldn't I see some green units, and maybe some crack, or elite units also? How about a regular vs regular engagement? or vet vs. vet?

Anyone else see this?