Battlesight Aim with Tiger 88L56

The Tiger Fibel presents a method of aiming at 2m high targets that suggests a high percentage of first shot hits (see http://www.geocities.com/tigerfibel/tigerfibel.htm and look in the section on Elvira wird erschossen, under Richtschuetze).

Setting the gun elevation for a 940m range and aiming at the bottom of the target results in a mean trajectory that will never be more than 2m above the target bottom, suggesting that every shot hits the target.

While the use of the above aim process suggests a very high first shot accuracy, center of mass aim with a range estimate for each situation can be more effective over a wide range of target distances.

The aiming method described in the Tiger Fibel for targets to 940m range, which is sometimes referred to as battlesight aim, was compared to center of mass aim by computing the first shot hit percentage. Random round to round scatter was applied to the theoretical trajectory, and center of mass aim was based on average range estimation errors of 10% (what Tiger crew was expected to attain) and 25% (average crew level).

Averaging the hit probability at each range from 200m to 940m in 100m increments shows that center of mass aim with 10% average range estimate error is superior to the other cases:

Battlesight aim, 75% average hit probability from 200m to 940m

Center of mass aim with 10% average range error, 92% average hit chance

Center of mass aim with 25% average range error, 71% average hit percentage

The less than 100% hit chance with battlesight aim is due to the large number of shots where the mean trajectory is near the bottom or top of the target and scatter drives the shot off the target. The following table shows that for targets at 400m to 600m range, and 900m to 940m, the trajectory is very close to the target edge.

Battlesight trajectory over bottom of 2m high target, 940m aim at bottom of target ===========================================================

200m, 1.31m trajectory height over target bottom at range

300m, 1.72m

400m, 1.95m

500m, 2.00m

600m, 1.87m

700m, 1.56m

800m, 1.05m

900m, 0.35m

940m, 0.00m

1000m, -0.55m

1100m, -1.65m

If the average hit probability is computed from 200m to 1100m, which takes into account targets beyond 940m that are estimated to be within 940m, the disadvantage of battlesight aim to center of mass aim with 10% range error becomes even more pronounced:

Battlesight aim, 63% average hit percentage from 200m to 1100m

Center of mass aim with 25% average range error, 63% average hit chance

Center of mass aim with 10% average range error, 86% average hit probability

A Tiger crew with better than average range estimation error would find alot more of their first shots hitting with center of mass aim. One of the main advantages of battlesight aim is the reduction in time spent on first shot range estimation, since one only has to decide if the target is within 940m of the Tiger (which provides a possible error).

It's one if not the most accurate tanks in the game?

You're kidding me right?

In CMBB I would agree, in CMBO I think it's the most vulnerable and least effective AFV in the game. Slow (especially turret speed), armor is riddled with flaws, gun accuracy is poor (this specifically to your point and this thread). This has been my experience over the last year and a half playing CMBO with and against Tiger IE.

Turret speed is modelled accurately, vehicle speed and maneuverability is modelled accurately, there is something wrong with the main gun accuracy. Taking into accounts post like the original author of this thread, why do I always find that when setting the Tiger up in an ambush, it can't hit anything for three shots and often gets knocked out by much lighter armor?

When I play Allies and come across a Tiger, that is when I move in vehicles like Stuart and Greyhound. In my opinion, these vehicles own the Tiger.

I spoke with an American veteran of the war about his experience with these enemy tanks. In the instances in which they came across one protecting a crossroads or a bridge they called in an airstrike on it. Rocket firing Typhoons and P-51's to bug it out or bust it up. They sure as hell didn't call in a couple of light tanks to knock it out! This tactic appears to work great for me in CMBO though.

I respect your opinion. Do you really have great success with this big cat?

I really would like to discuss this further and get other opinions and experieces with this German AFV.

In any case, God Bless.