Does anyone know of a site to translate German into English?!

Guest Rommel22

Guest Rommel22

I need to translate some text, does anyone know of a site like that. I heard of one, but don't know the url.

Thanx!

------------------

"If you are a Republican under 30 you have no heart! If you are not a Republican and over 30, you have no brain!"

Winston Churchill

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Babel fish is pretty poor. Honestly if you don't read German you're probably better off finding a friend who does and bugging (or paying) him to translate.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on what you want to do - I use it at work to give my colleagues a quick overview of interesting stuff going on elsewhere, and they can then come back to ask me for a better explanation if they are interested. Saves my time. I have done translations myself for work, and it is a bugger to do decently. It is not only poetry that gets lost in translation...

Rommel22 - it was not a decent Churchill quote to start, but do you believe you have to mangle it and then still attribute it to him? Even Churchill deserves better. He said 'Communist', as far as I know, but he certainly did not say Republican, being a constitutional monarchist himself.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-26-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Germanboy wrote (in Babel speak): Depends on, which you would like to do - I use it at the work, in order to give to my colleagues a fast overview of interesting material anderwohin one more to a large extent, and they can return then, in order to ask me for a better assertion, if they are interested. My time protects. I did translations themselves for work, and it is strolls for decently doing. It is not only poetry, is lost in the translation..., Rommel22 - it was not an acceptable stating line Churchill the at the beginning, but you believed to you must lack it and then to charge it still it? Even Churchill earns better. He said ' communists ', if I know, but he certainly did not say republicans and was constitutional monarchist.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's close enough, go for it.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Guest Rommel22

Thanx,Madmatt and Gremlin.

------------------

"If you are a Republican under 30 you have no heart! If you are not a Republican and over 30, you have no brain!"

Winston Churchill

It may not be practical for you atm, but if you get a chance, try to learn German: it's a fascinating language with a great body of literature--and of course it applies to WWII studies nicely smile.gif

------------------

War is cruel and you cannot refine it. --Sherman

Guest Rommel22

Right now I don't have time, maybe some time later. My Parents somewhat speak German and My Grandpa speaks Germen fluently. Yeah I shuld learn.

Thanx again for the sites.

------------------

Winston Churchill

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

If that's close enough, go for it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But translating it twice is not quite fair (sorry, I live in England, where that is an argument) - if you give a text to a professional translator, and have it reinterpreted by another professional you will be very surprised by the very loose connection between the second translation and the original.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-27-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

But translating it twice is not quite fair (sorry, I live in England, where that is an argument) - if you give a text to a professional translator, and have it reinterpreted by another professional you will be very surprised by the very loose connection between the second translation and the original.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but I was using that as an example. FWIW, when I put your original English paragraph into Babelfish it returned some awfully mangled German.

I've stopped using Babelfish altogether. Pretty much the only German I need to read anymore is for schoolwork, and I simply can't afford to take a computer program's word for it. I'd rather haul out the dictionary and do it myself.

For simple, non-technical translations, Babelfish is fine, but I'd be very wary of it for anything with any complexity.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super