Shoot 'n Scoot?

Recently I've wanted to do something that I've seen the AI engage in very often: Pop around a corner, take a quick shot, then disengage again.

Last nite a couple of cheeky halftracks were teaming up on one of my Tigers with this irritating maneuver. They'd alternately pull just out of cover, spray the Tiger with MG fire, then reverse back into cover again as its dog-slow turret tried to track them.

I can't seem to figure out a way of doing this by issuing orders to my units. I understand that the TacAI will try to withdraw your unit if it detects that it's facing a serious threat, but I can't think of a way to do this on purprose beforehand.

Anyone? Or is it one of those 'AI only' trix?

ianc

I have done it with tanks using the hunt and reverse commands (making a real tight looking jigsaw pattern), and with halftracks by just telling them to move out of cover slightly then letting the AI move them back out of self preservation, but that only worked when they were popping out against a clearly superior weapon system.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Hmmmm... Hunt then reverse. Good thinkin', I'll have to give that a try.

Kinda makes me wish that a pause could be issued mid-stream for a hunt-pause-reverse string.

Thanks for the suggestion!

ianc

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ianc:

Hmmmm... Hunt then reverse. Good thinkin', I'll have to give that a try.

Kinda makes me wish that a pause could be issued mid-stream for a hunt-pause-reverse string.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

However, need to be careful on where you extend the hunt command out to. Put it too far past that corner or hill crest and Mr. Tank Commander will proceed blithely too far before reversing unless the TacAi intervenes

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86