AI adjustment for Infantry to 'Hit the Dirt'

Guest Scott Clinton

Guest Scott Clinton

I think this has been mentioned a few times before but frankly I am not sure what the outcome was.

I zoomed in on a platoon advancing tonight as an enemy barrage started to fall. I rarely zoom in and 'enjoy' the show, but tonight I did.

This platoon was a platoon of Veteran SS troopers. As the US 81mm mortars started to fall the first three rounds (not including the spotting round) were all near by but not close enough to cause any casualties. Thus, not one trooper seemed to even take notice. Then, a near miss nailed two men in a squad and that one squad dropped prone. But even after that, the other squads near by just kept walking through the fire, until one by one they all had suffered at least one casualty.

Frankly this is the first time the AI has actually hit my troops with HE. Maybe this is why I am just now noticing it as a problem. It also may explain why my HE has been so damn effective against the AI's troops in the past.

Is there any chance that the TACAI can be adjusted to cause troops to drop prone (perhaps even have the unit become pinned) when the unit is "MOVING" or "SNEAKING" and shells start raining down? Perhaps based upon the troops experience rating? If not, quite frankly I will be purchasing a LOT more spotters, especially when I am on defense.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Scott Clinton

I'll 'top' this just once in an attempt to get some other opinions...

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Yeah I agree.

Mortar fire SHOULD be able to catch a few guys on their feet when the first rounds come down (as Ive posted before they are quiet compared to regular arty). After that its pinned everyone down and theres an occasional 'direct hit' casualty.

The game needs tweaks but theres things that are broken and need to be fixed first. Im sure Charles is busy.

Lewis

Guest Michael emrys

Couldn't agree with you more, Scott. I think something similar should also apply to troops receiving machine gun fire, especially if moving in the open, though pehaps with a reduced chance of occurring. In short, while I do not advocate increasing casualties, I think the suppressive effects of incoming fire needs to be tweaked upwards a bit.

Michael

Guest Scott Clinton

Michael:

I think I have seen troops become PINNED when they are close to enemy MG fire (directed at other units). Was I mistaken? confused.gif

But, IIRCC I think I tend to agree it perhaps should be adjusted upwards to make nearby units more fearful of the MG fire.

I think we (us three at least wink.gif ) are all asking for a TACAI that is more responsive to incoming fire BEFORE that same incoming fire catches the unit 'flat-footed' some 5-60 seconds after the first shot misses. This would result in more supressive effects from enemy fire and I don't see any problem with that at all.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 07-14-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

Frankly this is the first time the AI has actually hit my troops with HE<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that you mention it: in my opinion the AI is much too liberal with its ammo when it comes to smoke. What I mean is that the AI wastes to much ammo on smoke while the same and often a better result could be gained by simply bombing the s**t out of my units.