Help with Screen Flicker

I'm geussing this is the place to ask why the game seems to wrok fine, but my display looks like your drunk--and trust me, I know what that looks like! smile.gif

I've tried changing from 800-600 to 640 by 480 with no change. Is it refech rate? I have a Voodoo2, 16MB, and a 2MB 2d card by Cyrix. I'm running on a PII233 with 96Mb. Anyone else have problems like this?

For what it's worth, I never had this problem on a 'pure' Windows 98 setup. Then, I buggered thigns by installing Windows 2000 and not deleting all 16 bit drivers. I had screen flicker. Then,I trashed everything that was 16 bit and problem gone (eh, along with a hell of a lot of other software).

I might be able to help if you could tell me;

a) what size/type monitor you have

B) what is it's maximum listed refresh rate

c) what version of Windoze you're running

d) what version of directX

e) whether or not you have the latest current drivers.

Am I correct in understanding that you've got 2 video display cards? If so, you're using the Voodoo as the primary display, right?

Email me if you need more help.

Tom

a) what size/type monitor you have

15" Packard Bell

B) what is it's maximum listed refresh rate

85hz

a) what version of Windoze you're running

95, version a

d) what version of directX

6.0 or later

e) whether or not you have the latest current drivers.

I think I do. I'm running Rogue Spear, Panzer Elite, and Close Combat 4.

Am I correct in understanding that you've got 2 video display cards? If so, you're using the Voodoo as the primary display, right?

Yes. And thank!

Hi Safisher,

I don't know if this will help, but basically I've noticed that when I boot up the demo one of 2 things will happen:

The game will start up immediately apparently normally, but the graphics are all messed up and as you so eloquently put it, the game looks drunk.

Other times however, the game takes a few seconds to get going, but there's a bunch of flickering on a black screen right before I get the opening menu. It flicks about 4-5 times and I can tell that it's probably doing some stuff to configure the 3-D card and testing out different configurations. When I get the flickering at the beginning, the demo runs like a dream.

So basically. I just keep starting the demo (usually takes 2-3 tries) until I get the flickering at the beginning.

p.

Safisher, 4 possibilities that I can think of;

1) Go into 'my computer' and turn hardware acceleration for your video card off. See if this helps. Sometimes it does.

2) Under the device mangler, check to see the date of your latest video drivers and compare them with the most recent one's available for your Voodoo. Update if necessary.

3) Switch to W98

4) Try DirectX 7.0a or 7.1a

Myself, I'd try option 1 or 2 as they're the least troublesome.

Hope this helps.

Tom