Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Turret facing

I know this has been mentioned before, but I saw no conclusion to it, and now I can't find it again.

Why can't we tell our TCs where to point their turrets? On a hunt movr, my Panthers target a platoon HQ unit 300m away, while rotating the turret, and get whacked by a side turret hit. I have infantry working with them to act as flank security, and take care of the odd infantry contacts. I want my tanks to be searching for targets ahead of them! I understand if they percieve a threat on their flank, but surely a HQ unit 300m away is no real threat. There was even a yellow line to the Sherman, so they knew he was there.

Anything I can do about this? Should we not be able to control turret facing?, At least order it?

Thanks

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crank_GS:

I know this has been mentioned before, but I saw no conclusion to it, and now I can't find it again.

Why can't we tell our TCs where to point their turrets? On a hunt movr, my Panthers target a platoon HQ unit 300m away, while rotating the turret, and get whacked by a side turret hit. I have infantry working with them to act as flank security, and take care of the odd infantry contacts. I want my tanks to be searching for targets ahead of them! I understand if they percieve a threat on their flank, but surely a HQ unit 300m away is no real threat. There was even a yellow line to the Sherman, so they knew he was there.

Anything I can do about this? Should we not be able to control turret facing?, At least order it?

Thanks

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is one known work around

If you target the area facing where you want the turret to point, it will ask you if you want to use the main weapon?

if you say NO then only MG fire will shoot in that direction, effectively keeping the the turret facing your perceived threat

try it "sort of" works

-tom w

That sounds like a good idea. Will it, however, still point that way as it passes the kitchen unit 300 meters away, or will the tank want to blow away the poor KP unit (and still then get killed itself?)

BTW thanks for such a quick answer

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

Assuming that you had nothing to do with the targeting of the HQ unit. . .I have noticed that on the hunt my tank will stop when it has a valid target in its sights and will most likely move the turret around to engage, especially main gun at that range. Was the Sherman moving or stationary? Your Tank Commander, was he unbuttoned? if so He may have had eyes on the sherman but the gun may not have been able to engage because of terrain elevation (assumption). The sherman, because of elevation may have been at a "down" angle more than your tank's gun could angle upward (a guess on this one). I have seen this on active duty.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jackal:

Assuming that you had nothing to do with the targeting of the HQ unit. . .I have noticed that on the hunt my tank will stop when it has a valid target in its sights and will most likely move the turret around to engage, especially main gun at that range. Was the Sherman moving or stationary? Your Tank Commander, was he unbuttoned? if so He may have had eyes on the sherman but the gun may not have been able to engage because of terrain elevation (assumption). The sherman, because of elevation may have been at a "down" angle more than your tank's gun could angle upward (a guess on this one). I have seen this on active duty.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think...

And I could be wrong that there is ONLY one LOS from the tank..

I'm sure what Jackal is reporting is the ACTUAL truth but in CM in the game the way LOS is modeled an unbuttoned TC does NOT see more than the gunner can aim at due to his elevated position.

LOS only comes from the central "sort of" average middle elevation of the tank.

anyone else?

comments

-tom w