problem with installing sound mods on my mac

After using soundapp to convert wave to system sound files, using resedit to copy the latter for pasting into the corresponding sound effect files fails with an out of memory error message. Beyond the fact that it’s memory partition cannot be changed, there does not seem to be any problem with resedit and no file extensions are involved. I am using a G4 running 9.0.4.

Actually, "cube", you can use the converted files you've made. From your description, I am assuming that you're installing the "snd" resources using RedEdit. And, like me, you've run into the out of memory error dialog. If so, then here's the fix...

a) Quit ResEdit.

B) Find the ResEdit app and open the "Get Info" window.

c) Select memory on the drop down of info to show.

d) Increase the max memory to a reasonable level; mine is currently at 4MB (4096kb). [The suggested memory on V2.3.1 is 520kb, and my minimum was set to under 400kb, and the max was very low (under 1MB).]

e) Now reopen ResEdit and try your copy/paste operations again, and you should find the sounds install with no problems. Just make sure the ID and name are identical.

FYI,

Steve C.

mailto:carrs@fuse.net

Guest Lord General MB

Sir:

Anyone want to take me throw the process for loading them in? I convert them and it still wont copy. I REALY want to use all the nice sounds mods out there... Why doesn't MCMMM do sound files to????? I wish someone would put out a sound mod converter & installer program.

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

in regards to sound mods:

yes, they can be used, as stated above, and you need to make sure that resEdit has enough memory to load the sounds in (after you convert them with SoundApp or similar).

regarding a sound manager:

i've started one, but my real job hs interferred a bit, and will for the next month or so. A few big deadlines coming up and a bunch of OT.

A problem I also have is Real Basic doesnt allow one to save sounds, so I'm looking at work arounds. I can load sounds in and play them, but saving them is another matter at the moment. I was hoping it would be a fast code process, but Murphy strikes.

it will be a while though, as I need to keep the paying job. :)

And, today I'm watching as hardware I designed and built for the space station is finally (after many many many years on the ground) being assembled on orbit. The internet is cool, as I can call up the NASA channel and check it out live.

anyway, I'll be providing a status soon in regards to what I can do with teh sound manager.

but, I'll post this for the mac programmers out there: Anyone willing to do the sound manager for us? No pay, but you get the glory. :)

email me if you are interested. it might be the fastest way to get one out for the mac users.

thanks!

dave

------------------

History is made at night