Off-Topic - Panzer Elite

The person that recommended that I check out CM also suggested that Panzer Elite would be

the other computer game on WWII that I need.

Any other thoughts on PE ?He said it would give me a more 1 on 1 skirmish feel ...

After playing the CM demo games again , I'm glad I did not buy some of the "other guys" games smile.gif

Thanks

i think Combat mission and Panzer Elite are the best two ww2 games out .two diffrent beasts. panzer elite you can man the main guns sit in the commanders position ect .it realy is a exellent game that played over the net agaist humans is realy a heart pounding thrill.maybe try out the beta demo .not sure how to get it someone may know where to download it .its only a beta but will give you a idea of what the game in about.i dont need to tell you about Combat Mission as you have already seen the light : )im sure you will enjoy Panzer Elite

cheers

Abrams;

I've got the full version of Panzer Elite (patched 1.07) and I'm currently playing with "Michael Y's" mod, which makes some overall improvements and offers more driveable tanks.

While it is a really good game and deserves recognition and praise, it does leave some room for improvement. Its ballistics model for one leaves me at a loss sometimes. I have seen computer controlled M4A1 Shermans take out Tigers at 1200m with shots on the Tigers frontal armor. I'm no expert, but with the regularity of such occurances I frequently question how such shots are calculated. This is especially true when you play the other side of the coin as the Americans. When playing the Americans in the same situation this type of shot is so rare that its not even worth attempting. This holds true even at 10m, let alone 1200. So how the computer does it at 1200m leaves me scratching my head sometimes. Must be some of that round bouncing stuff I read about I guess.

That aside, not all shots in the game are "questionable". For the most part its a thuroughly enjoyable and realistic game peppered by the occaisonal moment of "what the...?". So I'd recommend it as a fun, immersive tank simulator with some valuable "skills" and information to be picked up on.

As for Panzer Elite in relation to CM. Well if nothng else, you'll walk away with a better appreciation of armor and gun strengths and weaknesses for many if not all of the AFVs you'll use in CM. The manual and the game will both teach you a lot about this kind of stuff which I can only sum up as invaluable. You may also benefit from the tactics you will need to employ when trying to use more than one tank to take on an objective. As well you will really appreciate the importance of hull down positions.

So, overall, I'd have to agree with Waffen and say try the demo. If you like the graphics and the game engine and your looking for a good tank sim then your ship has finally come in.

I have to stress though, I personally feel that anything you learn from Panzer Elite should be transferable to CM. I think this holds just as true for any thing you can find on tanks and tactics in books, documentaries and other mediums. With Panzer Elite though, you can man the tank yourself and experiment with how to employ that knowledge or those tactics.

I guess what you have to keep in mind though, is that Panzer Elite offers a smaller span of control without as much ability to maniulate the bigger picture. As the Tank or Tank Platoon Commander your just following orders to "go here and kill this", your not the one creating those orders. In CM however, you are much more in control of the bigger picture with the ability to swoop down and influence tactics right down to the individual tanks and sections/squads.

Hope at least some of this is of use to you.

------------------

"Hosti Acie Nominati"

Ive got PE, where can I get these Patches and Mods ?

Also i found something that TOTALY freaked me out, when doing the Normandy campaign, in the Phase where you reload and refuel your tanks and stuff, I clicked on the cows head a few times and this guy starts laughing in like a crazy voice, at first i thought it sounded like Butthead from the Cartoon Beavis and Butthead, but then i got way louder and crazier. Anyways that just totally freaked me out until i went through the game files and found the sound file with that **** on it.

[This message has been edited by Screamin Demon (edited 06-08-2000).]

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Hello guys

I have been playing Panzer Elite for some time now, and I have to say that it is the best ww2 tank sim out there by far. The game is full of little details just like CM. The 3 campaigns included in the game are really well made, and you really feel like you are the platoon commander. But the real fun comes when playing online. I am the commander of the online unit 25th Panzer Regiment. http://home.c2i.net/andhess/25thpzreg/

We use real ww2 tank tactics when we play online. We also communicate with a little program called Battlecom. It lets you speak to eachother, and we use military communication procedures of course. wink.gif

I really enjoy leading a company with experienced guys as platoon commanders. It is really as close you get to the real thing. I was a tanker on the Norwegian Leopard 1A5, and PE brings back the good memories. The satisfaction of crushing an enemy online unit is really great. Especially when you have used real WW2 tank tactics to defeat them. It is an experience that every treadhead should have had. So I can recommend this game if you want to drive a WW2 tank on your computer.

Cya on the virtual battlefield

Hauptmann Heinz

CO 25th PzReg

Screamin Demon;

You can fnd the Panzer Elite 1.07 patch from the PE homepage; www.panzerelite.com

Wings Simulations is also supposed to be putting out a 1.08 patch in the next little while. Theres a list of what the 1.08 will do at the PE homepage (just looked at it). Looks like it may fix that whole Sherman kills Tiger thing.

As for Mods, well I've got two at the moment. I probbably would have found more but I've been too busy with the CM gold demo. These two sites can also be tracked down via the PE homepage.

The first is; http://www.ozemail.com.au/~pref8u/PE.htm

and the Second is; http://www.pedg.de/

Hope this helps

------------------

"Hosti Acie Nominati"

Screamin Demon;

To the best of my knowledge these mods don't do anything to the graphics for the overall game engine. However, with the Britpack from the PEDG page, you get all new graphics for all of the British Armor. Even some new sounds. Moreover, the installation manager for any and all of PEDG's mods also allows you to install multiples of their mods at the same time. These include a variety of cammo packs (which give various tanks new cammoflage patterns) and sound packs (new sounds).

The only stipulation I've seen is that some of their mods/packs have to be installed before others or in a specific order. These details however, are listed on their page.

------------------

"Hosti Acie Nominati"