Newer members, please read

First, I think that flood of newer members to this board is a great development, as it will bring fresh insight to many topics of conversation. The old timers on the forum have also contributed a lot. As a relatively new member myself (joined just this spring), I have learned a ton from the more established posters. I've also found that it's always best to do a SEARCH on a topic before posting a question, since there's a high probability that my question has already been discussed at some point over the past 2 years.

I'm not going to play forum police, but I will recommend that before posting, please do a quick search on your topic. It will save you from receiving some blunt, clipped answers from those that have already discussed the topic 1 year ago - and moreover, it may help you to fine-tune your question to discuss a point on that topic that hasn't been brought up before. Thanks!

Edit: Once again, I'm a nonspelling ***k wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Mannheim Tanker (edited 08-13-2000).]

How about if every old-timer answers ONE question that they hate seeing over and over again. Email the question and answer to me or Doug Beman (Doug is working on a FAQ of sorts) and maybe we can get something worked up.

Make your answers as long as you want and include links to good discussions on the forum. Making a complete FAQ with links is a REAL PAIN IN THE ASS, so if all the old-timers pitch in a FAQ might actually appear.

TRUST ME, Steve and Charles would greatly appreciate a good FAQ and together it should not be too difficult.

Jason

guachi@bayou.com

Doug's email address is:

Douglas_Beman@shi.com

I think this is a really good idea, guachi. I thought of something else after posting my message above. It would be really helpful if, after searching and finding a thread on a topic that has already been discussed, people just posted to the existing thread rather than creating a new one. It makes it much easier to follow the trains-of-thought of the posters if they're all in one thread.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

How about if every old-timer answers ONE question that they hate seeing over and over again. Email the question and answer to me or Doug Beman (Doug is working on a FAQ of sorts) and maybe we can get something worked up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea Guachi. Maybe we should just post the question here and who is working on it, to avoid doubling up work. Also, do we have a sort of quick overview of most-repeated questions of the board?

I'll start one anyway, but it is too early for me to think. So the following is off the top of my head, slightly cheeky and by no means exclusive or in order of importance.

1. CM1 as part of a family (areas that will be covered in later games)

2. Roster, absence of.

3. Treatment of LATW (mine do never hit/always set building on fire, this game is dumb)

4. Moral of Waffen-SS/paras not correct

5. Expansion pack

6. Additions (I want these 99 tiles of terrain that may not exist in Western Europe but still looks cool)

7. FOO

8. Air support

9. What weapons are modelled/will new vehicles be included?

10. Why is it not real-time?

12. When will the Pacific mod come out?

13. War movies

14. Suggested reading

15. Effectiveness of HMG against light armour and in general

20. Campaigns, absence of

21. treatment of experience/morale in general

22. Absence of vehicles, chance of them to be included (e.g. Maus, US HT Quad AA)

23. German Ãœberoptics

24. How to PBEM

25. Arty effectiveness (is never right)

26. Skipping HE rounds (not really)

27. What is gamey?

28. Treatment of crews (lack of personal weapons)

29. Information about fire-power, ranges

30. General accessability of information

31. Absence of Chinchillas

32. ??

you go on, I am now thinking about which one to answer.

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 08-14-2000).]

Ah Andreas you forgot

16. The Hamsters Buena Vista Social Club

17. H39 is the ûberpanzer

18. Peng's Smileyphobia/Smileyphily biggrin.gif

19. How different nations capacity is taken in account in CM (ie : germans are good mechanics, french have a +15% on cooking...)

------------------

Nicolas

http://perso.infonie.fr/nicolas.counio/combat_mission1.html

"Deux intellectuels assis vont moins loin qu'une brute qui marche"

Un Taxi Pour Tobrouk

I have a Word doc I wrote up about a month ago which covers some of the basic questions. But who am I to say my answers are the only ones?

The questions I currently have answered are:

What is CM?

Where can I get the demo?

Where can I buy CM?

How much does CM cost?

How long does CM take to ship?

Does CM come with a box and a manual?

Are there any reviews I can read about CM?

Are there any CM websites out there?

Will there be any add-on packs for CM?

What theaters will CM2, CM3, CM4, etc. cover?

When will CM2 be out?

I didn’t notice a CM: Pacific Theater listed.

Can I modify unit data?

Can I modify the textures and sounds?

There are no winter textures in CM.

Where can I download scenarios?

How do I take a screenshot?

What is the latest version of CM?

Are versions 1.00, 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 compatible with each other?

When will TCP/IP play be added?

Why wasn’t TCP/IP play included in the original release?

My (video card, sound card, mouse, etc.) doesn’t work. Help!

I want an OOB screen! (I think this is funny, because I had the answer written up long before the most recent OOB discussion)

Why do squads only have three men displayed?

Can I watch all the movies together?

A REALLY good answer would also include links to juicy discussions (preferably with an 'official' response by Steve.

Jason

Guest Germanboy

Jason, this looks really good. Now I take it you have the answers to these written up? Should we start a campaign, err, operation and sign up old-timers to pick one topic of the list I came up with and additions others may have to answer?

Oh, and 37. My PBEM files arrive in the body of the email and it pings. Help.

------------------

Andreas

It might be a good idea to include a "How-to" for PBEM. I know that I had a lot of questions when I started out with PBEM. A search and helpful hand from some members turned up a PBEM FAQ thread...perhaps a single link to that thread would be sufficient.

Thanks for putting this together! I'm sure a lot of newer players (and probably even some more established members) will greatly appreciate it.

Some additions and "mods" to your fine list, Germanboy:

21a) Why don't my units react the way I think they should? Why do they panic so easily?

38) Are trees 1:1 in scale? Do you have to hide behind one to get the "woods" cover benefit?

39) Where are the MG34's for German infantry?

40) Hull-down Basics 101

41) Crop Seasons (I'm due for a refresher, redface.gif )

42) Movement Plotting; the Waypoints to Hell

43) How to make manual adjustments to VT fuzes in CM

44) Required rolling distances for vehicles just knocked out

45) Tweaking the German schwere panzers to NEVER get knocked out by anything smaller than an Allied 15-inch battleship shell or 4,000-lb bomb (as wargamers have established as "rule of thumb" for decades; dare we argue with them now?)

46) Allowing infantry to use a bogged tank's shovels to dig it out; crew assistance optional but not mandatory

All tongue in cheek, of course wink.gif. Thanks for laying the foundation.

I read this forum on a regular basis, but dont always post. lots of good discussion here wink.gif

Theres also another CM forum located at ClubSSI, but theres not nearly as many guys that go there as there are here. If you ever want to drop a line, heres the url: http://www.clubssi.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Combat+Mission:+Beyond+Overlord&number=27&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

------------------

Club SSI Combat Mission Discussion