O/T: Movie Stalingrad Russian SMG Identity?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cward:

What was that russian SMG that so many of the german stormtroopers seemed to be carrying around? (not the MP40 the one with the drum mag)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The PPSh 41 sub machine gun, a lot of German troops prefered it, as it was a very reliable SMG.

Regards, John Waters

----------

"Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!"

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-14-2000).]

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

also known as RPD right? Yeah great movie, BTW everyone who has not seen it and thinks that because they never heard of it, it can't be good, think again. Please go rent it now!!!!!!

Im going from memory now, but wasnt one of the reasons the germans liked it that it had a 60 rounds mag? I also remember reading somewhere that the germans tried to imitate this by giving the MP40 a quick way to change magazines by having two magazines next to each other. Then when the first one was empty you just pushed the second one into place. Not a very good solution because the weapon became unbalanced.

Like I said before, this is from memory so I may be wrong. Anyone else?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

The PPSh 41 sub machine gun, a lot of German troops prefered it, as it was a very reliable SMG. Regards, John Waters

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-14-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that helped.. heres a link to

Bills PPSH 41 page http://www.continet.com/montyipsc/ppsh.html

interesting quote

At one time, the German Army converted a few captured guns to 9mm by changing the barrel and magazine housing..

Hmm

Cool Inter Ordinance stells an SA version for $549..

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graaf Spee:

Im going from memory now, but wasnt one of the reasons the germans liked it that it had a 60 rounds mag? I also remember reading somewhere that the germans tried to imitate this by giving the MP40 a quick way to change magazines by having two magazines next to each other. Then when the first one was empty you just pushed the second one into place. Not a very good solution because the weapon became unbalanced.

Like I said before, this is from memory so I may be wrong. Anyone else?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is called banana clipping. It probably wasn't called it then but today when you tape two magazines together they are usually of the curved kind (picture two AKs) and resemble a banana. I see this all the time in footage from the endless wars in Africa. An aid worker told me once that they also tape the magazines together so that they don't lose them after one magazine is spent.

------------------

----

To download my scenarios: go to

http://www3.telus.net/pop_n_fresh/combatmiss/index.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>An aid worker told me once that they also tape the magazines together so that they don't lose them after one magazine is spent.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially since many of these rifles are useless without a mag.. Ask Vets who carried thompsons in on D-Day with the new ?50? round mags.. they tended to fall out into the sand and there you go.. useless