Is it plan to use a new graphic engine in CM2?

frag

Well said Commissar. Every thing is a tradeoff. It costs time and money for BTS to produce the game. Now, where do they invest, and to what extint is the question. To pee or not to... So in the end it is a question of priorities. BTS has come up with something here. True, if they can make it happen at no cost to gameplay, and production time. Great! But I doubt that is the case. I too would take gameplay and interface over graphics. Besides, given the state of things with regard to the 3D graphics hardware companies who should honorably resolve their differences with a friendly game of CM (3DFX in their tank, and NVIDIA in theirs, they shake hands, pace off and turn to fire). Winner takes all! At the moment though, that sort of confusion is, I would guess, causing companies like BTS a major headache with regard to planning and implementing graphics code interoperability. Like I say, if I can have the eye candy without a negative effect on production and gameplay, then gimme. Otherwise...

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

Improved graphics are all well and good; however, I sincerely hope that BTS limits changes in CM2 to allow for as many of them as possible to be rolled back into CM1. When CM2 comes out, I want to be able to fight the war on both fronts with something approaching the same level of fidelity.

A perfect example of what I'm saying (and the only one I can think of) comes from none other than Big Time Software. When BTS developed "Over the Reich" it was, and still is, a great game. The icing on the cake was when they released the follow up title, "Achtung Spitfire," they were able to patch OTR and bring its game engine up to current standard set by the newer release. That made it a real pleasure to play both games and even enabled you to play them as one continous game.

It would be nice to have a series of games that actually go together as a set. You know, kind of like owning the first three star wars movies (lets not talk about that episode I piece of $*^#) or a good set of books. They go together as a set with each one being special in its own way. Today most follow up game titles are basically re-writes to replace the original.

I personally like the CM graphics. However, in my opinion (for what it is worth), the value of a game like CM is in the substance more than the graphics. Another perfect example of substance versus graphics is in the HP Sims Series that include "Tigers on the Prowl", "Panthers in the Shadows", and "Dragons in the Mist" (East Front, West Front, and Pacific Campaign, respectively). These games utilize very basic DOS graphics and yet they have so much substance, they are simply outstanding games. Generally speaking, i have found that the many of the highly graphical games, the "arcade variety", have very little substance. I think CM has it all..........outstanding graphics and substance.

Personally I love the graphics in CM,they're very distinctive,and with all those mods available out there they only look better,BTS should concentrate on the game engine and the AI,let the mod folks handle the visual stuff.

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

Guest Scott Clinton

I thought they were redoing the entire graphics engine for CM2 confused.gif

I thought it had been decided that they were going back to hexagons and little square counters.

Has they changed their minds? Are they going to use squares instead of hexagons? confused.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 09-26-2000).]

Guest Rollstoy

The first improvement I would like to see is more polygons for the soldiers faces. Maybe as an additional level of detail for real close-ups. When a soldier is shown, the attention is automatically drawn to the face (guess that's psychological) and the rest is regarded later. I think more detailed faces would really pay off with little investment! 'Max Payne' screenshots are a good example of this. They stand out mostly because the faces (and hands) are photorealistic. This really takes away the attention from the environment and the rest of the body! This effect should not be underestimated!

Regards,

Thomm