TT 2003 -Answers to Remarks and Questions

Rattler

Dont recall if I have answered that already:

Remarks and questions:

I assume no stage of this tourney will involve choosing your own forces?

Yes, there will be in Stage 2 (after Elimination round), though not freely (choice between different OOBs as a matter of planning), probably in 3 of the following scenarios "The Motherland", "Mad General", "TF Riki", "Semper Fi" (realizing that all those have been conceived by Rikki Tikki I think we should award him with a "Tourney Scenario Designer" Medal; seriously, those scenarios offer the best balance I have encountered so far and so are prefect for tourneys, PBM or converted for net-play; Good Job Rikki!). BTW, to get a feel for those scenarios check out TacOps Scenario HQ page at Battlefront - more than just scenarios there...

I could imagine some people wouldn't be happy to play TCP (based on what Combat Missioners do in their tourneys), but I am.
I have always (from the first tourney 1999) tried to provide a fun environment where people learn to make full use of the engine in the version provided (currently v4). This time this includes engineering, cross database units - and netgaming...:->

I think this approach is sucessful, because I can already report two veteran players who went against the AI mainly (or PBM) have newly started practicing netgames and are euphoric from what I hear...:->

Last, with the sownloadable files for each scenario the thing has become so easy (preferences, units, sometimes setups, all there already) that you just have to start from the provided folder and can simply start playing.

As a side-note: TacOps has become more and more "modular" during the last years, an approach which faciliates scenario (and tourney) design greatly: Interchangeable game files, map dat files, exported OOBs, Overlays and name files as well as the replay feature are a great support for such activities and make gaming a lot less preparation heavy. One BIG wish remains to make the modular approach truly work: EXPORTABLE OOBS WITH ORDERS AND SOPS!!! :->

I think it will be challenge to line up each pair for a full game duration. Effectivly people would have to reserve a day or even take a day off to do this. But the only way to figure that out is trying.
I dont think thats really necessary, as people can take up their netgames whenever they want again. IMO the greatest advantage of v4 and its netgameing and replays is that this time we will really have the possibility to have spectators...

Rattler