O/T Code RED! : Mac Gaming Community...

I'm sorry but I can't see this being good for The Mac gaming community.

Bungie Makes Myth and Myth II and if you have ever seen them or played them, you will know CM's graphics are down right spartan compare to the beauty and sizzling eye candy in Myth II. It is a wonderful 3D RTS stategy game that has NO production or resource harvesting.

But it only has swordsmen and archers and scottish dwarf's with satchel charges that make a big BOOM!

any way heres the news:

http://www.macnn.com/feature.php?id=43

Microsoft buys Bungie

by Eli Udell

Posted Monday, June 19, 2000 @ 9:00am

In a stunning move, Microsoft Corp. is again shaking up the computer world with a buyout. This time,

Chicago-based Bungie Software -- long considered a stalwart in the Mac gaming world -- has joined the

software giant and will take a lead role in Microsoft's development of the its forthcoming Xbox gaming

console.

In a deal that will be announced later today, Bungie will essentially become a development branch of

Microsoft. Take Two Interactive, the long-time distributor of Bungie’s titles, will retain the exclusive

rights to the popular Myth series and highly anticipated action game, Oni, due out later this year, in

exchange for selling its 19.9 percent interest in Bungie.

Founded in 1991, Bungie and founder Alexander Seropian hit instant fame with the help of partner Jason

Jones, a college gaming enthusiast with an interest in programming. Their first major title, Minotaur: The

Labyrinths of Crete, revolutionized the Macintosh gaming world by creating the "groupware" precedent;

whereby two or more players could play the first-person shooter over a modem or AppleTalk network.

In 1993, Bungie went on to create one of the first games written native to the RISC-based Power Macintosh

platform. Pathways Into Darkness, though never attaining extreme fame, won numerous awards during its

peak. The company would get its blockbuster, however, upon its next release.

At Christmas time in 1994, Marathon hit the shelves and sparked hysteria in the Mac gaming community.

The title dominated chat sessions, message boards and Internet gaming forums while giving Mac users one

of the first titles that truly made PC gamers envious. Marathon added two sequels later on, with Marathon

2 and Marathon Infinity, both later ported two the Windows platform and representing the company’s first

Windows efforts.

Bungie once again captured both Mac and PC gamers with the 1997 release of Myth: The Fallen Lords, a

revolutionary 3-D action/strategy, and the follow-up blockbuster, Myth II: Soulblighter.

Last year, at Macworld Expo in New York City, James Jones wowed the crowd during Steve Jobs’ keynote

address with his preview of Halo, Bungie’s well-documented new title that was set for release in 2001. Halo

appears to be the centerpiece of the acquisition; Microsoft plans on positioning the game as one of the

major titles at the launch of Xbox.

In the deal itself, Microsoft will gain the exclusive publishing and distribution rights to Halo. However,

unconfirmed rumors persist that Microsoft reportedly has no interest in completing development of the

Windows and Macintosh versions.

Bungie’s development staff will become an independent team within the confines of Microsoft’s Redmond,

Wash. headquarters. While aiding in the creation of Xbox, Bungie will reportedly be able to continue

developing new game titles for both Mac and PC, at its own discretion.

Bungie’s California-based office, which is presently finishing up Oni, will complete the title and then join

their coworkers in Redmond.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Steve and Charles with your new found profits can you recruit some of those Bungie artists or programers that worked on Myth and Myth II?

Perhaps some of them won't want to go and work for (the now about to be broken up) Microslut!

Just a thought....

-tom w

P.S. If you have never seen Myth II it is truly 3D and it is stunningly beautiful in its graphics. Check it out.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm an Admin (read: volunteer babysitter) on Bungie's Myth multiplayer gaming service, bungie.net. Bungie told us this was in the cards on Friday night, along with a bit of info on their reasons/hopes/fears. While it's certainly a disconcerting development, don't be too quick to jump on the bandwagon trumpeting this as the death of Mac gaming (or of Bungie games for the PC -- there's a vocal group that's convinced all future Bungie titles will be X-box only). There are no guarantees, but I'd be surprised if Bungie doesn't continue to make great games for Mac, PC AND X-box. Bungie is going to retain a lot of their independence (hopefully, anyway)

[Trying to sway this vaguely back on-topic]

It may be educational for some people to look at Bungie (a small, independent developer with some A-list titles under their belt) and realize that their projected financial future (with two hotly-anticipated titles expected in the next 6-12 months) was precarious enough that selling the company seemed like a good idea. The gaming industry is a tough, tough place, even (especially?) if you self-publish. The BTS guys have assumed a ton of risk with CM, and I hope that risk is well-rewarded.

Unless, of course, I get home tonight and my copy of CM isn't waiting for me. In that case, the devil take the hindmost. wink.gif

---

Leland J. Tankersley ("Cap'n Carnage" on b.net)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

While it's certainly a disconcerting development, don't be too quick to jump on the bandwagon trumpeting this as the death of Mac gaming (or of Bungie games for the PC -- there's a vocal group that's convinced all future Bungie titles will be X-box only). There are no guarantees, but I'd be surprised if Bungie doesn't continue to make great games for Mac, PC AND X-box. Bungie is going to retain a lot of their independence

Leland J. Tankersley ("Cap'n Carnage" on b.net)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't hold your breath for a Mac version of Halo or any other Bungie title. Microsoft did not purchase Bungie so that its Xbox could compete with other platforms.

This move is on the line with Microsoft own "continuing quest for innovation".

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

don't be too quick to jump on the bandwagon trumpeting this as the death of Mac gaming (or of Bungie games for the PC -- there's a vocal group that's convinced all future Bungie titles will be X-box only).

Leland J. Tankersley ("Cap'n Carnage" on b.net)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even Bungie is evasive about the big question for Mac users:

Q. What happens to the existing PC/Mac versions of Halo?

A. The development team has a ton of options to consider. They may choose to concentrate on one platform, to bring the game to every platform under the sun, or something in between. As of this writing we simply don’t know what the answer will be. We cannot promise that a Windows or Mac version of Halo will ship, but we can't rule it out either.

Let me rephrase the real meaning of that reply: The development team has an option to consider which weights a ton: concentrate on one platform: X-Box.

Guest Mirage2k

One thing here that has thus far been ignored in this small thread: the X-Box is basically a virgin market. Bungie is getting some prime stomping ground by its acquisition. This means more money should flow into Bungie's coffers and they will be able to continue developing games for the Mac (and PC). Also, according to Bungie, they will retain their distinctive flavor and innovative style. They did NOT say they were abandoning the Mac, or even the PC market. Stay calm, hold off on the angry letters, and they won't be tempted to. Let's not have a repeat of the Marathon 2 "outrage".

-Andrew

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Don't hold your breath for a Mac version of Halo or any other Bungie title. Microsoft did not purchase Bungie so that its Xbox could compete with other platforms.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd venture to say that the console and computer game markets are different (and lucrative) enough for Halo to warrant a console AND computer release.

-Andrew

This is from the Microsoft press release:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Microsoft expects the Bungie team to play a key role in the development of content for the Xbox platform, creating the kinds of innovative technology that have defined its character.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"This acquisition reflects our commitment to growing our business with a strong portfolio of quality games for the PC and Xbox platforms,"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever Bungie are telling us, Microsoft bought them to make Xbox "content".

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mirage2k:

I'd venture to say that the console and computer game markets are different (and lucrative) enough for Halo to warrant a console AND computer release.

-Andrew<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you're right but I will believe it only when I see it. X-Box right because it is new has to create a bridgepoint to enter the market. Bungie acquisition will be that bridge.

Since when companies bought by Microsoft have been free to continue to release products for other platforms/OS ?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Unless, of course, I get home tonight and my copy of CM isn't waiting for me. In that case, the devil take the hindmost.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to worry. smile.gif ::dances happy dance::

I don't really want this to degenerate into another "Bungie sucks/Micro$oft sucks/armageddon is nigh" thread -- there are more than enough of those active in various Bungie fansite forums already. Just to clarify: there are no guarantees. Certainly, Microsoft wants content for the Xbox. And the Bungie developers think the Xbox is a pretty neat toy and look forward to developing content for it, and to helping to shape its final architecture. But no official statements or press releases that I have seen have stated ANYTHING about specific platform support (or the lack thereof) for future titles OTHER THAN that Halo will be on the Xbox, and not on e.g. PS2. A lot of sites and articles have misquoted, misinterpreted or otherwise confused the facts.

Have faith in Bungie, or don't, as you see fit. Me, I'm going to wait and see. Doesn't cost me anything to do that.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley