BTS possible bug - *SPOILER VOT*

Hey Steve & CHarles

I 'm not positive but I think I've found a bug, at least it seems like it would be :P

At the start of VOT after both sides have plotted and BEFORE you actually watch the movie, if you click on the pillboxes you can see where they are preplotting an ambush. To me this information would be impossible for the opposing side to know eek.gif I have the file if you want it

oh also if you click ont he boxes you can tell if they have an mg or an at gun in them - shouldn't this info be unavailable until they fire?

Awesome game tho - this is a minor thing jsut thought you would wnat to know smile.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

[This message has been edited by SS_PanzerLeader (edited 05-14-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

When are you seeing the lines exactly? I tried to reproduce this but could not. More info the better wink.gif

You can identify what type of fortification it is because they weren't that hard to identify. Although not depicted, generally the gun barrel of the AT gun poked out so it was easy to see. And if you don't see a big, nasty AT gun, then obviously MGs must be stored inside.

The reason you see the Experience level is so that you can get a sense of how good the enemy unit is. Your troops on the ground would *generally* have an idea about this after fully identifying the unit. This is an abstraction, of course, but it is the best way to get this information to you quickly and easily.

Steve

But how could they know? Maybe that panzer IV has a veteran crew

and maybe that one over there has a crack crew. How could opposing

enemy infantry possibly know the skill level of the crew inside?

I assumed that exact skill level, like morale level, was never

revealed to the opposing player. I don't see how they could know

this anyhow and it also makes one's better quality units overly

easy to pick out and be the subject of unwanted attention.

"Hey, that infantry squad over there is green but that one about 30

yards to the left is veteran, I can just feel it in my bones. Let's

get them first." "O.k., sarge, sounds good."

Come on, does that sound even remotely realistic? Hehe. smile.gif

Whether it be tanks or infantry I don't think it makes sense.

Steve,

Setup a hotseat game in VoT.

Give the German 75mm bunker an ambush order in the orders phase and hit go.

Once the opposing side is about to watch the action phase you will be able to spot the ambush by marking the 75mm bunker, at least before starting the movie.

M.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee:

But how could they know? Maybe that panzer IV has a veteran crew

and maybe that one over there has a crack crew. How could opposing

enemy infantry possibly know the skill level of the crew inside?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if that Tiger to my immediate front has about 20 kill rings painted on it's barrel and the insignia of Panzer Lehr prominently displayed on its glacis, I would form the conclusion that this was most probably an experienced crew...

As for the infantry --- well, you got me there...

Steve & Charles,

I just duplicated the bug with the ambush markers. You have to set up a hot seat game and select the Axis so that they have their setup phase first. In this way, the Allied player watches the movie playback second and can see the ambush location of the bunker only before hitting play on the movie. Once playback starts, the ambush location disappears. However, you can go back to the very beginning of the film, stop playback, and it will show up again.

pritzl

Good morning Steve,

Sorry I was crashed when ya posted eek.gif At any rate it seems Pritzl has pretty much hit the nail on the head, with the exception of the fact that I couldnt get it to show me the markers again just by rewinding the movie (at least in that particular game) .

The game in question was originally set up by the germans, and sent to me to set up as allies. I set up and returned it and then we both plotted, IIRC this seemed slightly different from the BETA.

When it came back to me to watch the movie, I saw the bunkers, clicked on them to see what each held, and if much info was to be given.

When I clicked the bunkers I saw no ambush marker on the AT GUN; I only saw them on the Wooden MG Pilllbox to the left and the Concrete Pillbox to the left. Once I started the movie they disappeared and would not materialize again, even if I restarted the VCR control.

I COULD duplicate this if I I restarted the game and loaded the file again. I have the file if you want it smile.gif

As far as the unit abstractions go: for the pillboxes I agree with ya and to a certain degree with tanks and infantry. But with infantry I think (just my opinion)the only way unit composition could be detected would be in extreme cases . For example if the unit was Volksgrenadiers that were low quality (made up of old men) OR they were Actual SS units (but I guess even these could be Green) So retrospectively I guess the former troop quality (the old farts) seems to be the only one detectable until contact. eek.gif

Thanks for replying

BTW this scenario rocks smile.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

von Lucke: I agree that kill rings could tip you off, but other than

that (and I assume all tanks didn't have these rings, so it would

only help sometimes) I can't see how you could tell one way or

the other how good they are.