Marketing

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ol' Blood & Guts:

Hey Germanboy, I just wrote a pretty good review IMHO over at download.com.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, having lived in the UK for so long, was probably more restrained than you in your characteristic exuberance - I could only bring myself to give it five out five possible 'Excellent' biggrin.gif

------------------

Andreas

Guest Big Fat Guy

CM selling 200,000? No way. Not with any amount of money spent on marketing.

Wargames don't sell those numbers, unless you publish with Microsoft.

Guest Big Time Software

Having been doing this for a living for 7 years, and spent 2 LONG years at Sierra OnLine, I can say that this statement is incorrect. Few STANDARD wargames have sold these numbers, but CM is not a standard wargame. Neither was Close Combat, and that is why it sold large numbers as well (although MS' shelf muscle certainly didn't hurt). And of course we feel we have a much better game than CC smile.gif

I was the Producer for Civil War Generals 2, and although I left before the sales cycle was finished, I am pretty sure that hex based, traditional style wargame sold just about 200,000 at near full retail price. Heck, CWG 1 sold about 150,000 and another 100,000 discounted I think.

Marketing is the key here, as well as shell muscle. CM has what it takes to break out of the sub-100k sales range that normally wargames can't bust out of. But obviously this is all pie in the sky because we aren't going to be on the shelf at all smile.gif

Steve

Guest Captain Foobar

I just purchased WW2 Fighters(Jane's) a couple of weeks ago, and one of the deciding factors for me was seeing their multiplayer lounge on the internet! I went into this place, there were 40 people there, with real-time chat, and it looked very alluring, BUT I didnt have the game, so I couldnt play.

Once you guys get TCP/IP going, it would be a very good idea to get a high-exposure "multiplayer lounge" going. That way, people that wander in aimlessly can get word of mouth testimonials straight from players who are waiting for their next match.

I know its easy for me to waltz in and spin up some huge fantasy like this, and very difficult for you to impliment, but check out the fighter's lounge at Jane' Air Combat. This sort of website format could actually utilize your Guerrilla PR army!

Check out janescombat.net , go into the ww2 fighters lobby, it is a terribly cool format.

What do you think, Steve?

[This message has been edited by Captain Foobar (edited 05-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Captain Foobar (edited 05-06-2000).]

Guest Captain Foobar

has anyone checked this out yet? I think its worth some considering, in concept.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

I, having lived in the UK for so long, was probably more restrained than you in your characteristic exuberance<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, I consider myself as a extreme left wing liberal. I call'em like I see'em. 'Cause no matter what you say, you're gonna piss someone off somewhere. So I just say, "F**k it."

Oh, by the way, the reason why there is so many screwed up or sick people in this world is because no one tells them so. wink.gif

And what's with this new social exceptance of gay people? That is just plain-ass disgusting! No pun intended. wink.gif

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

The OBG quote of the day

"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write I think there is little point in writing" Kingsley Amis

Substitute "just about everybody" for "somebody" and you get the OBG credo.

------------------

"Heaven sent and hell bent

Over the mountain tops we go

Just like all the other GI Joes

EE-AY-EE-AY adios!"

Guest Big Time Software

OB&G, I'd quit while you are behind. OT rantings don't do you any favors.

As for the multiplayer finding thing... I am nearly positive that TGN is planning on having something really cool set up for CM. Two parts, one for TCP/IP play (when it becomes available) and the other for PBEM. To have us put in such a feature would take a lot of distraction from advancing the game itself, so it isn't likely going to be something we do.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> And what's with this new social exceptance of gay people? That is just plain-ass disgusting! No pun intended. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok.

1. This is TOTALLY off-topic for this forum.

2. At LEAST 10% of forum members and readers are probably homosexual and so this statement is insulting to a large group of people.

3. Please take your prejudices elsewhere. I really don't think Steve should let you away with this kind of statement. As far as I'm concerned what you said is just as bad as saying "blacks are disgusting" and if it were my choice you'd be banned the instant you posted it.

Personally I think it is quite disgusting that you felt able to post that and it's quite disgusting that you can still hold such antediluvian attitudes.

Just cause you have the freedom to say whatever you think doesn't mean the rest of us want to hear sick and twisted hatred pomulgated on this forum. Please keep it off the forum. I am only doing this as a personal statement since I find what you just wrote so offensive and small-minded.

Guest Big Time Software

And on that note, closed goes the thread.

But Fionn is correct. OB&G, I really don't give a crap how into CM you are, how many supportive posts you have made, etc. You want to spout off a bunch of crap like that, you are going to have to do it elsewhere.

Don't push your luck.

Steve