Computer Wargame Magazine!

Guest gyrene251

Guest gyrene251

It's what we need...a magazine dedicated to the review, design and strategy and tactics of playing these games! What do you all think?

yeah, would be great!

But there are some of such mags (in earlier days for tabletop-games, was called "The General" or so) - isn´t there any new mag for PC-wargames? If so, please tell me anyone, if not - who want´s to work with me for a really good one.

Ups, perhaps i said toooo much now. Would be a lot of work to do - even if you like to look at such great sites as "The wargamer", "DerGrenadier", "Combatsim" .... - i think to print it, would be no good business.

What are you thinking?

Jochen

Guest gyrene251

Print or Web, it would take a lot of effort. Printing wise the run would be limited since you are dealing with niche audience, but a loyal one. Either way, it would take money and a staff to do the job properly.

Well, I've got magazine experience, but I think something like this would be best served on the web. As was already said, you couldn't afford to print the magazine with such a small readerbase (at least I think it's relatively small). So the alternative would either be to charge insanely high prices for the magazine, or do a web page and try to garner some worthwhile advertising, or print a bi-weekly or monthly newsletter or something like that. The newsletter would definitely be feasible, and I'd be willing to work on that, but I'd need some heavy assistance since I'm on a Mac and most of the big games are on PC only. frown.gif So maybe I could edit/design and write the occasional article and some of the peecee people on this board could do articles/reviews for the mainstream games? I dunno... just a thought... I'd have to know ahead of time how many people were willing to buy such a newsletter, as well... it's kind of pointless to put a lot of work into something when at the end of the month you find you're $200 in the red wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Miyamoto Musashi (edited 04-13-2000).]

Guest MantaRay

Well actually, I just started work on an online computer games magazine on Monday. We hope to launch on July 1st. As we may not be devoted to wargames, we will have extensive coverage on CM and any other decent wargame that comes out. Our goal is to be the most honest and informative webzine out there and are looking at over 1,200 pages within the first year.

I for one do not think that a wargame only magazine will come along as you described, but hey, it really isnt that hard to start one. All you need is a few bucks for the domain name and the webhosting, a decent computer, some artistic knowledge, HTML,DHTML,JAVA, and Flash knowledge, alot of time to play, ability to generate interest by marketing, a willingness to recieve no money for a while for you long hours, a willingness to deal with the flak you wife gives ya for not paying attention to her every word, and the dedication to work 25 hours a day.

Ok, maybe it is not that easy, but hey go for what ya know.

And for all that are interested, I will be giving people the chance to review any wargame they want on our site. SO if we miss something, let me know and I will be glad to give ya your chance to make history. smile.gif

Oh, also Steve, I hope you will still give me that interview you told me I could have. I plan for it to be the lead story for us. smile.gif

Raymond Ardry

Hardcore Gamers Daily www.hgdonline.com

------------------

MantaRays 5 Pages

[This message has been edited by MantaRay (edited 04-13-2000).]