Public Challenge to the Famous Fionn!

Guest Pillar

Guest Pillar

Fionn,

I publicly challenge you to a match of Combat Mission!

You can choose the side and map, then just send me a file.

I'm determined to beat you, and if I do, it will make a fabulous AAR for MadMatt.

If I loose, I will submit myself to public torture and shame! smile.gif

Well, what do you say?

smile.gif

I say,

Get in the queu wink.gif

One day I'll put up a list of who has challenged me and the results but it is safe to say that there are about 25 or 30 people I have to play before getting to you. You're noted down though but I've got to do this on a first come, first served basis.

Also, I've committed to a couple of games in tourneys etc.

Not with people like you needing rematches Berli wink.gif.

So far I'm not doing too badly and am umm,

17 for 1 but it looks like I might lose another one soon ( believe this... My opponent got a 1 shot kill on a hull-down Panther thus destroying ALL of my AT power ( except for 3 schreck teams).

Well, I've proceeded to take out 2 enemy Shermans, 1 M10, 1 M7 Priest and a couple of HTs with my schrecks and fausts but he's still got a tank and another 3 or 4 HTs left ;(. The lucky SOB is bound to win eventually unless he waltzes some more tanks into the reach of my schrecks wink.gif.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

The lucky SOB is bound to win eventually unless he waltzes some more tanks into the reach of my schrecks wink.gif.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That Berli you are playing? No worries, he will oblige you, he's that kind of guy.

------------------

Andreas

Fionn,

Maybe the right way to do this is to kill a bunch of birds with one stone....

You could play a group of people in one scenario. From your perspective the PBEM would work normally as if you're playing one person, but that person would be broadcasting the turn files to a distribution list and issuing orders based on everybody's input.

If you win, then everybody who participated loses and vice versa. If nothing else, it might prove instructive for those who play against you.

Not that I want any part of this, just thought it might be fun to consider. I want to win having fought you "mano-y-mano" (sp?) -- but I'm not ready yet. wink.gif

That's not a bad idea.

It'd be like some chess demonstrations I've been at where one player ( the demonstrator) will play a number of games at once ( based on the same setup/scenario). Each board he will play will have a team of 6 people discussing the moves to be taken.,

Thus a 5 board demonstration will involve 31 players ( the demonstrator) and 5 teams of 6.

Of course, great care needs to be taken that truly consensus decisions are reached as, otherwise, one dominant personality can lock out the other 5.

Also, I doubt that many players who are involved in a "team match" would be satisfied enough to count that as me "playing them" so I'd probably end up with an even longer list than before.

Those demonstrations were fun though. The best way to do them would be to set up TCP/IP matches one day since that way you get the time pressures inherent in the board demonstrations and then have me simultaneously play 5 or 6 matches vs a sum total of about 30 players. That could be quite fun actually, harking back to the good old days wink.gif.

Of course, finding people willing to do it would be difficult since it really would take most of a day.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

That's not a bad idea.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a good idea only if one believes that a committee can design something better than one competent individual eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It'd be like some chess demonstrations I've been at where one player ( the demonstrator) will play a number of games at once ( based on the same setup/scenario). Each board he will play will have a team of 6 people discussing the moves to be taken.,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the simulataneous chess matches I have seen (with players like World Chanmpions Fischer and Petrosian and other top-class players like Spasski and Larsen) play against about 50 individuals, all of them playing their own game.

Once I was playing in a simultaneous against Bent Larsen, who was considered one of the three or four best players in the World; he was walking around the tables arranged in a square, moving pieces without stopping. At one point, I made an aggressive move, and when Larsen reached my game, he stopped for about ten seconds confused.gif. A big crowd gathered, my morale shot up :I have him worried". smile.gif When he came around the next time, I made my move, and he made his without stopping. Gulp eek.gif I was the first player to lose his game frown.gif. Moral of the story: when playing against a player like of that caliber in a simultaneous match, try not to get noticed too early! biggrin.gif

Henri