CM2

Pud

Just wondering, is BTS considering using mp3 files for the sound in CM2 or will they be sticking with the larger, poorer quality wav format or going to the smaller, clearer mp3 format. If not, perhaps its something to consider?

Pud

Guest KwazyDog

Correct me if Im wrong here, but I heard a while back that there is actually a company out there whom holds the rights to the MP3 format?

*If* I heard correcly, although the format is currently free for all to use, there would be nothing stoping that company wanting royalties from people using their format...probably a good reason that it hasnt been used in many comercial products yet if so...

Dan

Guest KwazyDog

Hi Pud,

I was interested in this after you mentioned it and did a bit of searching. I found this article on CNET...

http://www.canada.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2091466.html

with the following comments being the highlight.

"In the technology’s early days, no royalty payments were collected. But the German research institute that helped create the format is beginning to collect its dues, charging companies that create MP3 software and hardware or sell MP3 downloads. Next year it will begin charging Webcasters, it says.

"People think MP3 is free, but it's not," said Jack Moffitt, the 22-year-old iCast vice president who is overseeing the open-format effort. "

What the heck are you talking about, to my knowledge mp3 format is allways worse compared to wav format. Mp3 format erases sound information permanently and wav format doesn't. I hope CM2 uses mp3 format for music (If there will be any music) and wav format for sound effects.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quenaelin:

What the heck are you talking about, to my knowledge mp3 format is allways worse compared to wav format. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well not always, because you may use less bits or a worse sampling rate to make the wavs not too big. You are right if you use the same wav to create mp3, but if you use cd-quality wavs as source it may be much better to use mp3 than reducesed wavs.

The sound quality of .wav files is completely dependent on their sample rate. CDs typically have a 44.1 kHz sample rate, whereas MP3s are sampled at, IIRC, 22ish kHz. Meaning that MP3s contain about half as much information as a CD of the same song. Meaning they sound much worse. Typically MP3s lose a lot of high end, making them sound muddy or muffled.

In contrast, a .wav file sampled at 44.1 will sound much better than an MP3, although it will be a larger file, since it's more information. A .wav file sampled at 22 will sound equally good or bad as an MP3, and a .wav file sampled at 8 kHz will sound far worse. It has very little to do with the file format.

Also, Quenalin, you're incorrect when you say "Mp3 format erases sound information permanently and wav format doesn't." Again, it's dependent on the sample rate. If a .wav file is sampled at 22 kHz, it loses just as much information as an MP3 file. And although it's possible to take a .wav file sampled at, say, 44.1 and resample it at a lower sample rate, it's impossible to take a .wav file sampled at a low rate and resample it to a higher rate. The information, in that case, is just as permanently gone as is the information in an MP3 file.

Since stupid Media Player 7 doesn't display sample rates, I don't know offhand what sample rate BTS used for the CM sounds. Anyway, cheers.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.