DIRTY AI TRICKS ***POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!***

I thought I'd start a new topic since I'm interested in the various dirty and cunning tricks the AI is capable of. I'll start of with one that I really loved. wink.gif

I played 'the valley' as US first and doubted the combat value of flamethrowers. In the end I won but I didn't even use them...

Then I started a new game as Germans. all went 'rather well'. Around turn 25 there was heavy fighting in the village, with B-company barely holding the line and my reinforcement infantry platoon was on the way.

I proceeded to close assault the second row of houses while my panther gave coverfire. (The AI was a great help in covering its approach by continually trying to smoke it. biggrin.gif). As soon as I eliminated some remaining US troops in 2 different building, two different flamethrowers opened up simultaneously, fried both structures, killed most of my assault squads and sent the rest running for their lives, all within the space of just a few seconds!

At first assaulting those two poorly defended buildings seemed like a juice, easy target. Afterwards I really felt the AI was literally waiting for me to take that bait. Guess I fell for that one... smile.gif

Loved it. smile.gif

Hey Juju,

I was replaying CE in Gold Edition as US. Over ran the hill on left as well as overrunning several german squads in the woods. They were laying prone surrounded by US and as they stood up to surrender one of them threw a grenade at my US squad. Guess we need to shake down all prisoners or shoot them on the spot.

Juju,

Gosh I feel like that's happened to me too recently! Glad to hear I'm not the only one to walk into ambushes wink.gif

All best

Patrick

PS, good advice on playing both sides of the hotseat. Never thought of doing that before, but will try it out when I get some time.

Not really an AI trick, but rather a 'debateble' act by my own troops (Same battle).

I held my right flank platoon in reserve (you were right Berlichtingen, nothing is better than having a fresh, platoon pop up when you don't expect it anymore) until later in the game, where I lterally had it swoop over the battlefield, cleaning up the retreating US troops. I noticed however that in all the general mayhem (they were all running, moving and firing indiscriminately) 1 squad (the green one) continued firing on a US MG squad that had just surrendered maybe 2 or 3 seconds before they were mercilessly mowed done.

I DID have my reservations about that...

Heat of battle perhaps...

Or the 'greenness' of the firing unit (hell, it moves! Let's shoot it, regardless)...

[This message has been edited by Juju (edited 05-12-2000).]