Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Vehicle top speed w/ passengers?

Guest kking199

Guest kking199

I was thinking about being on the back of a Greyhound on a dry day in the grass going top speed during combat. I think it would be pretty damn hard to hang onto a vehicle going 45-55 while it is also manuevering (sp?) hitting bumps etc. It does not appear that a vehicles top speed is affected by passengers and their ability to hang on. Is this realistic?!?! Or is the vehicles speed reduced with passengers and I simply have not noticed. Anyone with real world experience in this area?

While I am on the subject... It would be really cool for the speed of the vehicle to be listed while moving, say in increments of 5mph. Of course I guess this would also lead to the debate of how the hell did you shoot my AFV from 500m while it was doing 50mph behind scattered trees!! AI bug!!!! LOL smile.gif

DISCLAIMER - the author of this post cannot be held legally liable by any 3rd parties attempting to duplicate/simulate the conditions of riding on the exterior of a vehicle while traveling in excess of 15mph in any conditions. However, if any 3rd parties attempt said conditions they are required by BTS law to file a full AAR on the event.

During my brief and misguided foray into the world of the insane, riding on the exterior of vehicles (even the ones with roomy interiors) was standard practice anywhere off-base. It is difficult, but you get used to it pretty quick. There are a surprising number of things to hang onto in an emergency - even if it is only each other. My most extreme moment was when the Zelda (M113) I was on did a "hard-astarboard" maneuver, descended into the ditch at the side of the road and fairly launched itself up the other side. Only one rifle out of nine was lost in this unannounced maneuver, and no passengers.

------------------

I remember it perfectly: The Germans wore grey; you wore blue...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Ever hear the phrase..."Get in/on, Sit down, Shut up, and Hang on!"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A common phrase from my sidecar racing days.

Trust me - it is possible to hang on to an object doing 50-60 mph across rough terrain with almost no suspension. Can be painful, but it is possible.

Over about 60, the intensity of the impacts tends to exceed the strength the human grip, and plonk, off you go. Might be better on a vehicle with a real suspension (road-racing sidecars, designed for asphault, have about 2" of suspension travel).