Assault or attack?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by streamkeeper:

Can someone explain the diffrences for me. I have sreached the manual, and i am somehow left confused about the difference between battle scenarios.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An assault is a kind of attack, it is usually a localized all-out attack on an enemy or an enemy position. To attack is to initiate an aggressive action against an enemy. An attack could be a probe, an assault, a recon in force, etc. An attack can have various scales, for instance an attack on another country, or an assault against against an enemy position or even an individual.

In CM, the term attack has a less general definition, in my view it is less aggressive than an assault.

Henri

I think the practical difference is that in an assault the attacker gets more stuff in relation to the defender's force, and presumably is expected to do a better job. The defender might get more fortification points, too -- I'm not sure about that.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

AFAIK the major difference between the various encounter types, apart from point balance and availability of fortifications, is the position of the VLs.

For a "probe", the VLs are close to the enemy-side of the set-up zone and for "assault" they are much nearer the friendly map edge with the "attack" in between.

This has the effect that for an assault you may have to penentrate a defence-in-depth to get to the VLs whereas for a probe you don't.

Joe

Guest Michael emrys

Also, I have noticed the following, though I do not claim that they are hard and fast rules. Probes have one VL; attacks two; and assaults three. If anyone has seen otherwise, I am eager to hear about it, as BTS evidently intends to leave us on our own to figure this one out.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eba1:

I've seen Attacks with 5 or 6 VPs. Just finished one with 6, on a small map.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! Okay. Thanks for the info. Now I wonder how the program decides on the number of VLs.

Wait a second...was your battle a Quick Battle or a user designed scenario?

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

Yeah, I just started a new QB probe last night that has 5 VLs. So my theory was totally, absolutely, and completely all wet...sorry.

I think that what others have observed about the VLs being located nearer or farther from your start line depending on what kind of action you are fighting has merit, however.

Michael