The Peril of not using the search feature

Toad

A lot of people who frequent this message board are quick to respond to questions with valuable, informative and knowledgable answers. I have learned a great deal by taking the time to ask questions.

Unfortunately, there are a few times when some one asks a question that has been discussed before. Sometimes it was discussed last month, other times it was last year. Sometimes when that happens, the author gets the words, "Do a search!" thrown in their face.

The search feature is a powerful tool. It can allow you to read the past discussions of others on topics you have only just thought of yourself. Often, the search feature comes up with threads full of comments from the BTS development team themselves.

But the search feature isn't perfect. Sometimes you can't find an answer simply because the words you use are different from the words used in past threads. Or your question is only briefly addressed. Or you don't completely understand the answer. Or you want to ask the question in a different way than the original author did. Or maybe you just plain couldn't find it.

I would like to encourage the people of this fine message board to not be so harsh with questions, be they from a new user or veteran, new topic or discussed to death. The search feature is only one means of learning answers. The real value of this message board comes from you guys and the opportunity for new Combat Mission'ers to communicate with you.

In fact, there have been a few questions raised that I wouldn't have thought to ask and search for if some one else hadn't posted to ask them again. I was glad they took the time to post their question, else I would have never thought it myself.

If a question is asked that has been discussed to death already, then take pride in your high knowledge of this busy place and share that fact. Don't punish the author with ridicule. Tell them, "Hey - I remember that being discussed about two months ago. Try searching for it. Lots of good information there!" Or live life on the Wild side and actually take the time to write an answer.

The purpose of a message board is to encourage questions and discussions.

In the end, a new message thread about a topic you've already read about doesn't do any harm to you. If you're not interested, then don't click on it!

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

I'm on your side at 100%. It's not everybody that are on this forum every day to read all the topics.

I personnaly use the search function ... but as you said, sometime, it's just not answering right.

But, as every place in the world, they are friendly people, and they are frustrated people.

- In this forum, friendly people use their experience to help you (99% of the time)

- And frustrated people show their experience by hitting the newbies.

But for all the good guys here ... thank you!

[This message has been edited by frag (edited 09-18-2000).]

Searching is actually a subject which people should do a search on more often.

Here's a friggin suggestion

Merely my 2 Cents...

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 09-18-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

I have dejavu smile.gif This exact topic came up twice last week. David has both links listed above. One was closed up real quick because, the other was a decent sized discussion about the various issues. I am going to lock this topic up and ask that you read the second of the two links (i.e. the better one smile.gif)

Thanks,

Steve