How does Battle Window work in Operation ???

Guest Shatter50

Guest Shatter50

I have had CM for a little while now. I have created numerous battles, but cannot seem to understand how the Operation works. I would like to make a operation were the Germans have a large base at one end of the map with several elevated positions on the way to the

German Base. Here is were I get stuck I would like small forces in small battles attacking these elevated positions. Once under allied control bring heavy guns and artillery to wipe out German Base. Is this possible and how do I set up the Battle Window also an explaination on how it works would be helpful. I have studied the manual

with no sucess.

Please help waiting for reply

OK, the battle window in an operation defines how much of the map is visible at any 1 time in one of the operation's battles. I believe the minimum battle window size is 1200m. So if your map was 2000m long and if 0 was the Allied entry end, then for the 1st battle, you'd see from 0-1200m of the map. If the German base area was beyond that distance, it (and that whole part of the map) wouldn't show up in the battle. It's like the world ends at 1200m.

As the Allies advance, the 1200m window rolls forward with them. So say they advance 500m in the 1st battle. Then in the 2nd battle, some part of the map at the Allied end would be cut off, and some more on the German end would become visible. The amount depends on the size of no-man's-land you set and where the front line ends up being drawn.

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

Guest Shatter50
Originally posted by Bullethead:

OK, the battle window in an operation defines how much of the map is visible at any 1 time in one of the operation's battles. I believe the minimum battle window size is 1200m. So if your map was 2000m long and if 0 was the Allied entry end, then for the 1st battle, you'd see from 0-1200m of the map. If the German base area was beyond that distance, it (and that whole part of the map) wouldn't show up in the battle. It's like the world ends at 1200m.

Thanks Bullethead

This helps alot except one more thing does the enemy unis outside the battle window move or wait till they are in battle window.

I would like to set up German patrols in the beginning of map the about, 1/3 to 1/2 way set up several ridges for artillery to be placed. Then at the end of the map set up the German stronghold and if possible main force of Germans stationed at the stronghold is this possible?????

Any thought would be greatly appreciated

Guest Shatter50

Also is there a way in the scenario builder to know the demensions of the intial battle window not just the size as in parameters but maybe some sort of outline to show this on the map itself????

Finally the Battle Window in parameters is measured in meters is that meters squared squared or what. The Map itself is measured in Height and Width so how does the battle window work???

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 09-14-2000).]

If you deploy units on the non-visible part of the operation's map, I don't know what happens to them. I'm only just now making my 1st operation myself. I suggest you try it and see for yourself, which is what I'm going to do when I get to that point in the work wink.gif

The battle window size is based on map width. It goes the whole height of the map, but only the set number of meters from the west edge in width. That is, if the battle window was 1200m, then you'd see from the west edge 1200m to the east and no further, but all the way to the true map edges north and south.

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html