Tank MG fire before AT shot!

I've seen this happen often, I distract a tank and move a killer into position, but upon reaching a hull down position or creeping around a hill/building-- the tank opens up with an MG before the main gun when target is in LOS. The enemy tank is buttoned, so I feel fairly confident I'm going to get the first shot (and if a german tank, maybe 2 or 3) before I reverse out-- and I don't need to make him button up-- I don't think I need the MG.

But the MG opens up and seemingly tips off the buttoned tank. Then the interminable swing of german gun and BLAM! I tip my killer off to target the tank prior to the move, and select the main gun-- but still he opens up with the MG fire once the enemy tank enters LOS (tipping off the enemy!)! It's maddening.

------------------

"Two World Wars and One World Cup, do da, do da!"

--British Hooligan, sung to Camptown Races

Guest Germanboy

In th 'Tank Issues' thread, Scott Clinton says that this was doen for ranging. Sounds logical to me, as a non-tanker.

------------------

Andreas

I guess ranging is a decent reason. But I also see what Havermeyer is saying. If you fire your MG at a tank you're not gonna kill it (usually) but they will be alerted to your presence. There are situations where the first alert you want to send an enemy armor is a round from the main gun. Nothing like a 75mm tungsten tipped wake up call to get you going in the morning eh? smile.gif

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest Scott Clinton

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I had not thought of the 'surprise' aspect that Havermeyer writes about.

I can see where not using the mg would have a MUCH larger payback than any possible 'ranging' firing it could have.

Coding the TACAI to distingush between the two situations would be problematic to say the least though. I think it would require a new order of some sort to 'turn off' the this or that mg. Sort of like when you fire at infantry and it asks "FIRE MAIN GUN? YES/NO".

This may or may not be a big change, I have no idea...

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

The ranging sounds reasonable. It does drive me crazy risking a troop to keep the tank interested, while over a turn or three I move a tank into a flanking position-- only to have the MG open up.

It's very frustrating husbanding the Sherman into a good kill zone only to have the guy fail on first shot and watch the panzer gun swing into the kill EVER SO SLOWLY. You get the one maybe two shots than ZIPPO!

------------------

"Two World Wars and One World Cup, do da, do da!"

--British Hooligan, sung to Camptown Races

Yep, this was done for ranging A LOT in WWII if what I have read and heard is correct. Especially for Sherman crews because US optics didn't have a system like the German mils for estimating distance. Also, while the sound of machine gun fire plinking the armor may alert the crew inside, it was also extremely disconcerting. Additionally, such fire was not always a dead giveaway as to what was doing the firing, or from where.

I view it as a realistic touch, but I also haven't noticed it creating many problems for me so I'm probably a little biased.