CM"x" and on...

Tanaka

Hi...

As we all should know by now, CM2 will be set in eastern front... My English is "short" so I will go right to the point.

BTS, it would be good for the CM1 owner be able to play is "old" CMBO, with Weastern front battles and vehicles, on the new "engine" provided by the CM2. What I´m trying to say is that would be nice for me, after buying the CM2, to turn my CM1 in a kind of CM2 at the Western front (Jun 44 to end). When I buy the CM3 (N Africa) in 2003(?), beleave me I will, it not makes sense if I want to simulate a battle in Normandy I will have to go and play CM1 with it´s "old" 2000 "engine"...

I can think of various sulutions and problems for the which above. If you have the time, 1st I want to hear from you, BTS team.

I´m not a coder... I´m a customer the tail end of the chain, don´t do mods, don´t have a web page abaut CM and ...I "only" have given up of 55$ to be able to play this very good game smile.gif

Thanks,

João

[This message has been edited by Tanaka (edited 09-19-2000).]

João,

Seu inglês não é tão mau quanto meu português! Minha esposa é de Brasil. Eu falo algum português, na maior parte palavras do xingar de dirigir em Sao Paulo. Se você necessitar alguma ajuda com inglês, E-mail justo mim.

Estavo Jackson

[This message has been edited by Slapdragon (edited 09-19-2000).]

I agree with you Tanaka. This would truly be a cool feature. The question is Is the new engine compatible with older files?

If yes, this would be easy to do. If not, I don't think BTS will bother and just do it like everyone else.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

My understanding of the situation (from the recent "relitive sighting" thread) is that CM2 will use CM1's engine. So there will be very little difference play wise. You will not be able to use CM1 files with CM2 for the same reason that you can't play CM1 files on the demo, the unit data is not there. American tank data (for instance) will not be in the CM2 code, so you can't play CM1 games on CM2. But, since the engine will be the same, you won't want too.

Here's to a short wait for CM2 smile.gif

--Chris

I only knew abaut BTS when I bougt "Achtung Spitfire". I opened the box , read the manual ( or the txt I can´t remember) and sow that we could bring the save files from "Achtung Spitfire" to play on with "Over the Reich"...

What I did next day was to buy "Over the Reich"... wink.gif

I know that nowadays this history of using "old" things is not a fashion... We all want to buy new things, buy , buy , buy... I personally don´t have a kick on buying games, I only buy them because they are good and the author(BTS) deserves to be paid for his well made work.

Currently I´m not in hurry to buy CM2, because right now CM1 (the best game I bought until today ) takes a big chunk of my free time. For you eager players for CM2 try to play against an human, CM1 excels in this role, I myself only played 2 time agains the AI...

So far after his product release and followed good suport, BTS lead me to believe that is NOT like everyone else...

After the release of CM2, if you BTS make at least some cheaper ad-on pack with the 44/45 western front,this would be very well accepted (and bought) by me and I think some others.

Thanks,

João

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maastrictian:

You will not be able to use CM1 files with CM2 for the same reason, ... the unit data is not there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An "Import data" function would suffice.

Those that buy CM2 and already have CMBO could add all applicable data files (including pictures and sounds) to CM2.

Even better would be to make CM2 as an "upgrade" to CMBO, that installs over the latter adding battles, operations, units and so on. (Like downgrading from Win95 to WinME without changing any other hard/software. wink.gif )

Cheers

Olle

Way back before the Gold demo (even maybe before the beta demo), when talk of CM2, 3, 4 would come up, the sense was that BTS would make every effort to make game engine improvements backward compatible, but that that may not be possible. Heck, even the Alpha build battle is not compatible with the current release. See, for example:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/000611.html

That's an old, old post, so I wouldn't hold them to anything said so long ago, though...if you search on things like "east front" and browse through you'll see a lot of discussions of these questions.

(It's also cool to see the old posts and BB format...if you search you can see stalwarts like KwazyDog and Fionn making some of their first posts.)

I have to add my vote for using older CM files with the newer CM "engine(s)" as they are developed. I am primarily interested in the Western Front and while I intend to buy every version of CM up to infinity, I would very much like to be able to continue with my Western Front Battles but with the New & Improved CM versions.

More than likey, if BTS did anything, once CM2 (or 3, and so on) was released, they would patch CM up to include relevant features. I doubt they would just make it to where the CM2 engine would be able to load and create files compatible with CM. I'm sure there will be desing and gameplay changes to CM2 so it better simulates the different battle conditions on the east front. I'll bet that if it is feasable, they will continue to support the CM engine with updates, such as the relative spotting issue, ect.

Mikey