Halftrack Tactics

I did a search trying to learn more on how to use halftracks effectivly. Even read some that said "Halftracks with a squad inside are quite powerful" I for one haven't found this to be the case. I'm decent in all other tactics except these. And if you play axis in pbem and let the computer buy your gonna get halftracks. Anyone want to share some HT tactics. Anything please. As of now I'm better off with a bicycle and a sling shot. smile.gif

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

My advice for HTs? Run. Hide. smile.gif

Seriously, they can very helpful if you can keep them out of harm's way. If you see any enemy armor, get outta the way!

I usually will use them in a "HT rush". Using a covered approach (critically important!), fast move HTs with infantry up to or near your objective. Dismount the infantry and use them as normal. The HTs hang back until contact is made (and their safety from enemy AT assets is assured) and then provide long range MG support. US HTs are really good at this with their .50 cals and 250 rounds of ammo! Don't have them sit still while providing fire support, either. Being a couple hundred meters protects them from most small arms fire, but not mortars.

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

I tend to avoid the 'rush' with halftracks these days because you can almost guarantee the enemy will spot you, figure out what's going on and reign death from above down on ya. And I don't like seeing my halftracks go pop.

Instead I use them to enfilade. I place them close to infantry as they advance, but in cover. When the infantry meet resistance I move the halftrack out and help in neutralizing the enemy. Just make sure where you move them to is not in full view of the battlefield!

Used this way their firepower, combined with the platoon's often overcom the 1 on 1 platoon battles you face, and definately turn the tide when faced with heavy weapons assisted teams.

PeterNZ