AMAZING,,, truly amazing...

I was playing "VALLEY OF TROUBLE" in the DEMO as the Germans...

My Panther was destroyed {brewed-up} by what seems to have been an arty-smoke round through the top of the turret... WEIRD!!!

There were no more Shermans left that could have done it nor were there any American infantry anywhere near where the panther was...

For the record the panther was situated just behind the church on the raised terrain...

Can anyone shed any light as to what may have happened...

By the way,,, it was hailing smoke rounds at the time this happened...

Trying to blind my Panther with smoke...Doh!

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

I have my doubts that it was an arty smoke round.

But if you look at your stats for the top turret armour on that Panther it is very light.

I have KO'd that Panther in VoT twice with top hits from arty.

But IF the Hatch was open, and if a Smoke round went down the hatch? Well if the gunner had a HE round in his hand and he dropped it?

What if?

Sounds like a million to one shot to me, but in CM I'm very often surprised how frequently those million to one shots come up.

I understand every AFV has a 1% chance of taking a critical hit to a section of the frontal armour that is a weak spot. That means there is ALWAYS a 100 to 1 shot that a little Stuart or something with that Allied 37 cal pea shooter "COULD" KO (shot to the weak spot) somthing BIG and seemingly indestructable.

I really like the fact that the 100 to 1 frontal armour, weak spot, "FLUKE" shot is in the game! Keeps it interesting and unpredictable.

Your Smoke hit to KO the panther was probably a 100 to 1 shot as well. They happen sometimes.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 08-05-2000).]

Im sure I can expect alot more of this unpredictability in battles when I get the full version... 2 WEEKS and waiting...

Thanks for your opinion...

CHEERS.

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

why don't you just end the battle right there (alt-U) and check the post-battle map for kill statistics on the enemy side's units. if one of them has Panther written there then this issue is cleared up. If no enemy unit has the Panther credited to it, only *then* there might indeed be the chance for a fantastic chance hit by a smoke round.

just goes to show again how important decent post-battle statistics are, and how important complete kill scores for the FOs are.