AI Question On Victory Locations

Just finished playing the Gold Demo CE mission on the German side. It was a very bloody battle in which heavy casulties were experienced on both sides and the result ended in a draw, Axis 44 Allies 47. I managed to hold the hill while the Yanks took the forest area leading up to the church. My question is this. The US has a Sherman tank within yards of the church VL and failed to take it. The same at the houses by the wheatfield. Allied soldiers with yards of the ? marker. My forces were in no fit state to do anything about it if the Yanks had decided just to move men into the VL's, and so gain victory points. I'm confused...Why didn't they take it?.

In that particular battle at one point the Aliies had held 3 of the 4 VL's - forest/church/houses. The only one i ever held was 'the ridge'. The US forces 'left' these VL's in an all-out attempt to capture the ridge, which saw heavy, almost hand-to-hand fighting, with the Yanks taking very heavy losses. I'm aware that the ridge is the major victory location, but surely they wouldn't have totally abandoned the areas of control that they had fought so hard to gain in the first place.