New sounds put in recently

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

Hi all,

Just a very quick note here. Charles finally got around to putting in incomming artillery/mortar sounds. Always wanted them in, but it took until now to have the time to do so.

There are distinctly different sounds for the different types of artillery. I could be a bit off on this, as I forgot to ask Charles how it works, but from what I can tell you hear unique sounds for:

Rocket Artillery

Mortars (light)

Mortars (heavy)

Artillery (light)

Artillery (heavy)

There might be more or less differences than this, but my one bug test I did was marred by poor planing and then a bug. The poor planning was having TOO much artillery coming down at once (er... kinda hard to determine what was what!), the bug was that planes had a keen interest in bombing Forward Observers smile.gif Not knowing this I had all my FOs in once place, so when the Typhoons and .50cal stuff dumped out of the air all was lost! At least I had a bunch of Ostwinds and Wirbelwinds and that plane won't be bothering anybody any more at all no way no how biggrin.gif

Steve

*Not knowing this I had all my FOs in once place, so when the Typhoons and .50cal stuff dumped out of the air all was lost! *

and then:

* that plane won't be bothering anybody any more at all no way no how *

It sure won't Steve, but after reading your post i'm not sure this has anything to do with it being shot down...sounds more like nothing to shoot at to me :P

Oooh, and cool about the sounds to smile.gif

PanzerShark

Thank you very very much!

This was the one thing I really was hoping for and will definitely increase the level of immersion to the point where we're all ducking under the computer desk.

Now if we could just have spotter planes. smile.gif

Actually I have some ideas there, but won't bug you guys until the game is out.

Thanks again.

STEVE WROTE: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Charles finally got around to putting in incomming artillery/mortar sounds. Always wanted them in, but it took until now to have the time to do so. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets see if we can read any deeper meaning into this statement. Does the fact that Charles now has time (apparently for the first time in quite a while) to add some cool, but non-crucial sound effect, indicate that he has completed all more important aspects of his job?

Steve - you must appreciate that we will analyze every word in your postings like economists analysing a speach by Alan Greenspan. Did someone say Irrational Exuberance?

Guest John Pender

Steve,

Thank you for the update. Update info like this will make the wait tolerable. Please keep them coming. Thank you for the recently posted vehicle update as well. While on the subject will there be any early version 251/1's. Will there be any 251/1 variants?

Thanks again, take care,

John

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Pender:

Steve,

Thank you for the recently posted vehicle update as well.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for any inconvenience, but where is this vehicle update? Did a search, found nothing newer than mid-'99.

Thanks for the info., Steve. This just makes the battles all the

more realistic from a sensory standpoint. smile.gif It's all these little

touches that add up to create a very believable battlefield

environment. smile.gif

This sort of thing will also help draw in more casual gamers

who will be attracted to the incredible graphics and sound.

And before they know it they will be playing the most realistic

wargame of it's kind, without even realizing it. smile.gif This will

help CM sales a lot. Then onto the expansion pack and CM II. smile.gif

Guest John Pender

Blood & Guts,

See "Vehicles" posted by s bakker, last reply 02-09-00 1044 AM. Its not a complete list just update info.

Take care,

John

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask about--

In The Forgotten Solder, the author sometimes mentions the noncoms using whistles to signal various things such as attack and retreat.

Were whistles commonly used? (Seems like there'd be some serious drawbacks.) Did other countries also use them?

And, if they were commonly used, when will we hear them in CM? smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Misc. answers...

1. The plane didn't bother anybody anymore because I shot its butt right out of the sky smile.gif Let's see... 3xWirbelwinds and 4xOstwinds... yeah, that should do it biggrin.gif Why so many of these vehicles in a test scenario? Just wanted to see how deadly they would be if concentrated, even if unrealistic. Answer... any AT in the area and they are dead, otherwise everybody else is in big trouble smile.gif

2. I'll keep posting little updates every day or so. Sorry I have slacked off on them, but I will get back on it!

3. Greenspan! Now that is funny! But yes, Charles has been doing high priority enhancements for a week or two. This is what has been mentioned as "polish". We figure that a couple of weeks of this stuff will improve the game's overall quality many fold. Already has smile.gif

4. Whistles seem to have fallen out of favor fairly early in the war, but were certainly used all the way through to some extent. Honestly, I don't have much info on their use so this is just an educated hunch.

Steve

This is yet another of those polish things we've all been talking about.

As for whistles I've seen a lot of pictures of SS formations on the Eastern Front using whistles.

I haven't seen much evidence of it in non-SS units anywhere or on the Western Front though.

There were reports of the Germans using BUGLES during the fighting in Arnhem though wink.gif.

Guest Madmatt

Geez, All that AAA, sounds like a little of the ole' Madmatt sense of "COOL STUFF" has rubbed off on ya Steve. I love setting up stuff in CM that is totally outrageous just to see how the game copes with it. I can almost hear the game sigh as it loads up as if to say "Well, I guess Madmatt wants to experiment again...And I was hoping to play a nice Bulge Operation!" then I go and create a scenario with like 40 tanks against one bazooka team! biggrin.gif

Some day I might tell you all about my massive re-creation of the Franco-Prussian war using CM ok sure wrong time period weapons, tactics, units etc.. But it had Germans and French so thats enough for me!!!! Hehehe, umm A allot (ALLOT) of liberties were taken but it sure was fun... biggrin.gif

Madmatto out cool.gif

p.s. Oh by the way I know NOTHING about the Franco-Prussian war (other than a rough approximazation of the time period) but then I never let my ignorance get in the way of stating facts! wink.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 02-11-2000).]

Were whistles commonly used? (Seems like there'd be some serious drawbacks.) Did other countries also use them?

I've read a story told by a man who participated in many Finnish long-distance patrols behind enemy lines. At the time there were about 100000 Germans in North Finland including the SS Division Nord (which, BTW, had a very poor reputation among Finns after they had witnessed some insane human-wave attacks against dug-in Soviets holding high ground. Nord was probably the first German unit whose advance was stopped by the Red Army).

The Germans were not very keen in sending long-distance patrols but during Summer 1942 the SS Division organized a couple of patrols behind Soviet lines. The man who told the story could speak German so he was ordered to participate in one of the patrols as an advisor. The patrol leader was a Feldwebel (or whatever the corresponding SS rank was, I don't have the table at hand right now) who had served a long time as a basic-training instructor and he wanted to do everything by the book. The only problem was that the book didn't say anything about patrolling in a huge forest behind enemy lines. As the Finn was only a corporal the Feldwebel didn't think that he could possibly know anything useful.

After the war the corporal said that for him the most horrifying moment of the whole war was when the Feldwebel started commanding his troops using whistle signals. Twenty kilometers behind Soviet lines. The Finn had to use all his efforts to persuade the Feldwebel to stop that practice. After the patrol he woved that he would never patrol with Germans again.

- Tommi