Yooperland

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

The only thing that LA has over the UP is the food<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but does LA have pasties? They're a meat pie sort of thing, a Cornish burito, if you will. Popular in the UP. I'm a Minnesotan, but fully in support of the plan for Northern Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin, and "da yoopee" to succeed and set up as the nation of Superior.

"Say 'Ya' to da YooPee, Eh?"

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 09-16-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

Viva Superior!... Think anyone would notice?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Canadian shoppers and gamblers, for sure, particularly if you devalue your currency. At 20 pine cones to the Canadian dollar, you would see an increase in tourism and even more sales of liquor and cigarettes. ("Carry that case of vodka to the truck for you?" "No, we'll drink it right here, eh.").

Is a pastie really a pastie if it contains no rutabaga?

No black flies in the South? Actually there is at least one spp. It gets called buffalo knat locally. I have know of them as problems around Lake Houston above that city. Also up "north" along the Sulphur River in Northeast Texas. While the fellows around the lake just caused locals to raise a ruckus of complaint, the ones up north killed horses if not cattle. The ag extension boys were called in on that one. They dosed the streams with BTI with some success. We never found the breeding grounds around the lake. And we had an expert looking. His entomological degree did not make him an expert, but I figgured his former residence in Yoouper Land did.

Now in support of my neighbors, the Coonasses, a fine and most talented variety of the human spp. inhabiting southern Lousiana, I will just say that it takes a lot more than an item or two of culinary artistry to rise even to a pretense of competition in that arena. These guys have painted every possible eatable item in the zone with the French touch and the combination is a pinnacle of flavor. Add to that the influences of other culinary triditions in that part of La. like Spanish, Itallian and African and nothing but good happens.

As far as the little flies (Mosques + -itos) are concerned --

(I have difficulty in understanding why in public information pamphlets in Spanish that we had to translate mosquitoes, a word stolen into English from the Spanish, as sanguras which refers to the insects blood loving habit.)

I have experenced them on the Gulf Coast and along Lake Superior. They remain impressive in either locality. I have seen vidio of Alaskan swarms and these fellows make visible clouds of hungry in the day time.

I have seen horses in a constant trot as woodland varieties attacked north of Houston.

I know a guy who accdentally locked himself out of his car at a most inauspicous time, wherein he found suddenly that the Jersey Saltmarsh Mosquito had a high interest in him and in numbers. He found the motovation to bend the door sufficiently to unlock it.

Most interestingly, at a meeting I listened to a research veternarian describe an investigation of cattle deaths on the Texas coastal plain wherein rather than finding evidence of suffocation from inhaling and clogging of breathing passages do to mechanical blockage or swollen tissues, that the poor animal's tissues were a light pink rather than red or purple. The cattle were exsanguanated. Bled to death.

Infrared vidio of ricefield mosquitoes intermixed with saltmarsh types makes such findings most plausible. Their mating swarms can be seen rising in tornado like flights of dense clouds of horney little boys and girls rising high into the sky. When these creatures get their minds off of ass and turn their attention to warm blood --

In the summer of 1980 during a terrific heat wave and drouth I watched as a couple of our British cousins, one from the lower tier and the other from Scotland worked on a project near an irrigated rice field. Come sundown the little buggers, ordinarily not loath to attack in broad daylight, would darken the skin. The Englishman had a stiff upper, but the Scotsman caved in and withdrew to their rented auto. I have experenced worse, but these were hungary when released from their heat indused exile.

My Lake Superior friendly hosts accompanied by various biting flies kept my wife and I in motion. I expertly advised her that they would go away with darkness, so we kept in motion for a little immediate relief postponing our much needed outdoor baths. I had forgotten just how late darkness comes in the northern summer latitudes. But it finally came. Then the second shift took over. I had not counted on that. Bravely I shook off my clothes, hesitated a moment, then gave up all intention about the outdoor shower, diving for the protective embrase of the screened tent. That was just more bare banquet than I wanted to offer.

The observation about the cold country varieties having to make hay while the short warm spell called summer holds out is on the mark. More so in Alaska and high mountainous snow country.