Question about diff types of battles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jonp:

I cant seem to find it. Can u tell me what page it is on?

I should have asked that in my original post

Thx

JonP<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pg 109, but it only lists the type of battles, doesn't define them.

Wayne.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

That is what I thought

I assume the previous reply from the first guy was trying to safeguard against piracy but trust me, I have the game and thus the reason I asked for the page number in the manual.

Does anyone know the answer???

Thx

Jonp

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jonp:

All,

Can someone tell me the difference between assault, probe, and attack<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An assault is an all-out attack whose purpose is to dislodge the enemy, to take control of a location or to eliminate the enemy; a probe is an attack whose purpose is to determine the strength of the enemy and/or to find weaknesses in the enemy's line of defence, or to determine the enemy's strength. An attack is a generic term that is the opposite of defence.

There can be many variations, for example, an attack on one flank can be a spoiling attack whose purpose is to fix, disrupt or confuse the enemy while the main attack takes place somewhere else. One attacking tactic is the so-called offensive-defensive method, where the attacker grabs an important position, thus forcing the defender to become the attacker (it is easier to defend than to attack).Rommel has written a whole book on infantry attacks, so it is not a trivial matter.

Henri

As far as CM is concerned, the battle type determines the ratio of the attacker's purchase points to the defender's purchase points. "Assaults" give the attacker more points (relative to the defender) than "attacks" do, and "attacks" give more than "probes," but "probes" still give the attacker slightly more points than the defender has. This is why, in quick battles, you give the baseline point value as the defender's points.

The manual doesn't give the exact ratios, however.

Guest ACTOR

I'm at work...and you were right about my answer. I was reading the manual last night, and I thought that I saw a definition regarding the types of battles.

I don't have the manual with me...wish I did...but it seems others have answered the question pretty darn well.

Good hunting smile.gif