Suggestions(humble ones!) for a patch or CM2

Gentlemen:

Some days ago I tried my first scenario with CM. Being used to the detailed and tiring process of building scenarios for Panzer Elite, the CM looks a breeze. In 4 hours I got a decent scenario 2x2 sqrkm, with realistic heights, taken from a 1:25000 map of Normandy. But there are some suggestions, very humble ones, to the programmer,

1) a pair of coordinate numbers, just to know where in the map you are about to paint.

2) a configurable width for the paint cursor, i.e. 1x1,2x2,etc width for the paint

tool.

3) To enlarge the present limit in scenario maps.

I think the 1) would be easy to program, and 2) a little more difficcult, but easy anyway.3) can be an uneducated demand if some game's engine related issues made it unreasonable.

Of course, the game is great, and these are minor issues, only needed for people building big maps...

Also I want to ask if there is any idea of publishing the file structure of scenarios . That could be useful for an independent scenario builder tool.

McDrum

McDrum wrote:

1) a pair of coordinate numbers, just to know where in the map you are about to paint.

I do this by first marking a 1 km x 1 km square grid with water. Then I use it to position some clear landmarks to the map (roads, villages, lonely hills). After that it is reasonably easy to position the rest details in place.

Though, I've been working with 1:20000 maps that have the nice property that one mm in the map corresponds to exactly one CM terrain tile. With 1:25000 maps the mapping is not as straightforward.

- Tommi

Guest Germanboy

I would like to second all of that. I think the scenario editor would benefit hugely from becoming more user-friendly, and from a more detailed treatment in the manual. A lot of the stuff in the manual is not very clear regarding map-building, and the general parameters.

Being able to change maps from ops to battle is an absolut must, IMO.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-13-2000).]

TSS:

Yes, I did something like you, placing some marks in the key coordinate points.That's the only way of getting the heigtmarks at adecuate position.

But anyway it would be interesting to have a couple of numbers telling where you are.

McDrum