Possible Bug - Missing Sky

I have been enjoying CM since I received it and for my money, its hands down the best game in years. However one small flaw has prevented me from attaining complete bliss.

For some reason when I play, there is no sky, or rather, the sky is always a washed out white color, regardless of the scenario weather. From the screenshots I have seen of the game I know it's not supposed to look like this. This problem persists regardless of my horizon settings or viewing height.

Everything else seems to run fine on my system which admittedly isn't cutting edge anymore: its a Gateway Pentium II 450Mhz w/ STB Velocity 4400 16MB video card. Weather effects, transparent buildings and transparent smoke all work properly and the game runs smoothly. I have played around with the Gamma settings, tried reinstalling the game using all 3 install sizes and still no luck.

Any advice on what might be causing this problem and possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. This is already the best game in my book, but getting the sky to appear properly would definitely add to the immersion factor.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pathfinder1:

I get a green sky unless I am at or near ground zero level.

I suggest you try that and see if it fixes your problem..

good luck!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the suggestion pathfinder1, unfortunately the missing sky persists at all heights, even when viewed from ground level. Has anyone else experienced this effect?

Guest Big Time Software

Most likely there is a bug in your video card driver. It probably reports that it can handle a sky graphic of a certain size (so CM sends it the "big" one) but it really can't handle it.

Have you installed the latest available driver for your card?

Charles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Most likely there is a bug in your video card driver. It probably reports that it can handle a sky graphic of a certain size (so CM sends it the "big" one) but it really can't handle it.

Have you installed the latest available driver for your card?

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charles,

Thanks for responding. Since I began visiting this site over a year ago, I have been very impressed at the responsiveness ya'll show to questions and comments.

In answer to your question, have the latest driver from gateway's site, but its dated March 1999. Gateway says the version of the video card they ship is different from the retail version and that customers should use the drivers Gateway provides. I assume this is correct, but who knows.

One fact that may be signiifcant (or not) is that, when I started the game the process deviated from the one set forth in the manual. Specifically, I did not get a a graphics test that asked "Can you see this?" Instead, a window popped up which said:

3D Direct Test: Click to select the

graphics mode

Primary Display Driver

Resolution 800x600

Underneath this message were boxes to either "accept" or "next". Is this the message I am supposed to get, or does it indicate some problem with the program recognizing my graphics card?

Again, any advice you might have will be appreciated, but if it's not fixable I guess I'll live. I was pleased to read that ya'll have already sold out of your first production run. It's nice to see your hard work rewarded (and from a selfish perspective I trust this means CM is profitable enough that you will be continuing with CM2 - I'm looking forward to seeing this game engine brought to the Eastern Front).

Regards

kgsan

Guest Big Time Software

kgsan - no problem with the startup thing. We just changed it slightly, so what you see there is correct.

Charles