Is It Just Me?

Guest Commando

Guest Commando

Hi guys:

I'm new to Combat Mission and to this forum. I tried the demo today for the first time. I think this game is incredible! The sound, graphics, the battles - everything is fantastic. I just wasn't expecting something this great.

But I found after playing the demo for a half-hour that I was starting to feel ill. I think maybe it was the 3D camera rotation thing. Anyway, I had to get away from the game - and I still felt pretty queasy for another hour or so.

What I'm asking is - does this happen to everyone who plays this type of game? Do you get used to it? Is it just a matter of adjusting yourself to this new environment? Is there a way to tone down the camera moving all over the battlefield?

I love this game. It is almost the perfect wargame. So I'm wondering what all of you have done to either prevent this from happening, or how you have learned to cope with it. I would really like to keep playing this game - but I dread that queasy feeling I get from moving and rotating all over the battlefield.

Thanks. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

------------------

You've been playing a wargame too long when you throw yourself on the floor and yell "No! Take me!", when your favourite unit has just been destroyed by the computer AI.

Guest Michael emrys

...And do it in discrete jumps with a second or two between jumps to let your eyes settle down. It may slow down your play slightly, but it will allow you more play time per day, so it works out. Also, concentrate on moving the camera the least amount possible. Find a good position for it that will allow you to derive the maximum amount of information. Lastly, if you are like me, moving the camera forwards and back is less troubling than panning it. If that is so, positioning the camera so that you can utilize that fact will help.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

Gee, SD, does your monitor do all those things to you? And here I was thinking that it was that lasagna I found in the back of the freezer...

Michael wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I've been waking'up in the last two weeks not feeling well. The only time I felt like this before was when playing Descent. The quick rotation of the map, the zooming in and out do have a impact on your brain. Many games include a warning about the danger of epilepsy but I have never belived in this. If however - this happen frequently you are adviced to consult a medical. Try to limit your gaming play to an hour limit and see if it helps.

Malmvig

Guest Commando

Thanks for all of the advice fellas.

Well, I played the demo today for about one hour and half - but instead of the mouse, I used the keyboard and moved slowly. Much better. I actually could enjoy the game. Awesome. And I am not easily impressed. What a game. The sounds of the American artillery hitting the ground made chills run down my back - I just was not expecting this game to be this good.

I would not be surprised if a major distributor doesn't pick-up this game and offer it for sale in the stores. This game could easily sell 3 to 4 times or more than what it is selling right now - especially in the summer - when game companies don't release their good games. This one could clean up.

And these are comments coming from someone who dosn't play sims, 3D games, or Real-Time games. I usually only stick to turn-based strategy/wargames.

But Combat Mission is quite a game. I just can't say enough about it.

My one suggestion would be to include an option to allow the 3D camera rotation to "lock" into place, thereby allowing only the use of the keyboard to move on the battlefield. This would help reduce the nausea factor. Especially when you're zooming all over the map trying to place your troops. Anything that can help reduce player fatigue and nausea will go a long way to making this great game even better, and thereby increasing sales.

------------------

You've been playing a wargame too long when you throw yourself on the floor and yell "No! Take me!", when your favourite unit has just been destroyed by the computer AI.