2 Questions / Ideas

PzGren

Hi!

Ist it possible to view a replay without the combat phases? It would speed up the replay, and I don't think anyone would bother "what would have happened, if this missile had hit" anyway. The interesting part, the movement of the units, would be clear and uninterrupted. Second thought: Is it possible, to check an units field of view in an 360° arc by pressing a button and seeing the fov color-coded? Much nicer than circling the mouse, and really handy, when checking your positions.

Yours,

Christian Wendt

I agree with PzGren it's an excellant idea to change the LOS code to highlight the areas within a unit's or position's LOS rather than the current mouse jiggling. However, the question would have to be how difficult this would be to do from a processer / graphics speed point of view although I guess when you're in orders phase the computer's not really doing a lot else . Does anyone know if other games out there have this as a standard feature? I seem to remember East Front II did but that would have been a lot easier because would have only needed to be calculated per hex, not per pixel as TacOps does. I would be interested to know the Major's thoughts on this a bit more?

> I think it would be a gee whiz feature

> that most people won't need

> or bother to use

I don't think so, as I know from my own experience: The German Army system SIRA *has* this feature, as I wrote you some weeks ago, and it comes in quite handy. Furthermore it adds a huge amount of realism because by this you can easily "look around".

An idea how to implement this might be similar to the way it is done in BCT: Draw "some" (maybe configurable: 6, 12, 36, 360) rays emanating from the selected unit similar to the way the LOS tool does it now...

I just paid my taxes so am contributing my two cents on credit... :D:rolleyes:

If there is going to be a change in the LOS feature, than perhaps it should be aimed at making it easier to integrate LOS checks with the plotting of way points...

I'd like to see a way to use the LOS tool to designate something like a movement reference point (MRP?), a point on the map which the game recognizes and which could then be used by any/all units by using a "move to MRP" command (just like arty using TRPs). For example, when doing a LOS check the player could have the option of either turning the LOS tool off, or (while the LOS check was still "on") the option of hitting something like "ctrl-R" to place a reference point onto the map. Such points could also serve an even broader function in terms of coordinating unit maneuvers in a way that the "Paste orders" feature cannot.

-David

[ March 18, 2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: ExMachina ]

For me its a bit of a matter that the CTRL-L key combination is a bit inconvenient. I typically sit back with one finger on the ESC key and near the function keys and the other on the mouse. Its just CTRL-L, CTRL-A, CTRL-Z that I have to go for frequently.

That brings up a question for the Major. Is it necessary (or was there a reason) to map things to a CTRL key? Why not just use "L" for LOS check and similar for other commands? I can see that you wouldn't want "B" for Begin Combat as you wouldn't want someone to hit that by accident but for most commands I would think this way would work.