Downward compatibility in CM2,3,4,5 !?

Well, it seems that BTS won't make big changes about new units,buildings etc before CM2. I guess I have no problem with this, but PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE make it possible to play the CM1 scenarios with the later CM engines - maybe with a transfer tool!? It's not impossible!

"Backward" upgrades are also important to me. I'd like CM1 to develop along with the series, not rot away as the games mature. For example, I would hate for CM4 to make CM1 look like an obsolete game. When we cross that bridge, I hope that BTS brings CM1 up to the level of CM4.

Seems like this was brought up a few times way back when before the Beta Demo. If I recall correctly BTS will consider making future versions compatible with the older ones and visa versa IF it is possible. If not then I guess they wont.

It might be very difficult if you consider that some of the engine might change. I don't know if it will but if it does it might require a lot of work to upgrade CMBO.

I think that if it was possible then a *chargeable* mod would be acceptable by most people when you consider that CM2 and others will require enough work just by themselves.

BTS seems to try and please us as much as is feasible because these guys are making games that they have always desired. I have the utmost confidence in the choices that this company makes and feel I will be a long time customer of theirs.

But as far as each game in a sequel being compatible with the previous ones it brings to mind some great possibilities. Just think how cool it would be if you could put in one CD and play any part of the war. From the beaches of Omaha to the vast open desert to the Red Tide rolling over Berlin in a last major offensive. WOW, that would be great,

*****DROOL*****

Sorry for the rant,

VS

IIRC, the reason they did this "Operation" first is because it incorporated a lot of the basic models already so they wouldn't have that many more to do for the rest of the series.

Think about it. All versions of the PzIV are already done except making new gun barrel polygons for the shorter guns of the PzIV A's to E's.

PzIII's aren't that much different from PzIVs

The basic PzII is done, just gotta redo the turret models for the earlier PzIIs.

The major work for CM2 is gonna be the Russian equipment.

And for CM3, all is left is the Italian and Greek equipment.

The going word about upgrading early versions of CM with later versions was "YES" prior to release. If it holds as time goes on, we'll see.

------------------

Coming soon to a web near you...

The Maximus CM Mod HQ

This site will be host to a plethera of mods from myself and others.

Please send questions and comments to: davem@shawneelink.net

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 10-22-2000).]