Installing sound mods on Macs

Gents: Does anyone have any advice to give concerning the best way to install new sound mods for CM on Macs? I've downloaded the Mac Mod Manager tools and have happily loaded graphics mods into CM on my Mac, but I'm wondering how to do the same with sound files like Ncrawler's. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

What about hard ways? I'm desparate.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

The hard way really isn't all that hard. It's just a little time consuming. However, for those who want to try some of the sound mods, here are some step by step instructions.

First, you need to have two applications. These are "Resedit" and "SoundApp." Actaully, any sound coversion application will work, but my instructions will assume you're using SoundApp because it's simple, does the job, and is free. Both apps can be found by doing a search at http://www.versiontracker.com. By the way, all mac users should have that website bookmarked. Anyway...

Steps to covert pc sounds to the mac

1. Download the pc sound mod and unzip it. If your web browser doesn't do it automatically, Stuffit Expander works perfectly.

2. You now have a folder containing 1 or more .wav files. Launch Soundapp and choose "Covert" from the File menu, or hit command k. A dialog box appears prompting you to locate the files you wish to covert. In the dialog box, open the folder containing the .wav files and select the sounds you want to convert (Shift clicking allows you to choose more than one file). By default, Soundapp will covernt them to "System Sounds" with PCM encoding. You do not need to change any of these options. Simply hit the "Convert" button and then choose "Save." A new folder will be created containing the the sound files in the Mac .snd format.

3. It's now time to launch Resedit. Once you do, you'll be prompted to locate a file to open. Unless you named the folder something else, select the "SoundApp Coverted Æ’" and then open one of the sound files. Unfortunately, you have to change each file one at a time.

4. With the sound file open in Resedit, you see a window containing a speaker icon with the label "snd" beneath it. Double click the speaker icon. The actual Sound resource is now opened. You now need to change the sounds ID number. By default, SoundApp gives the first sound an ID of 128 and subsequent sounds 129, 130, etc.

5. To change the ID number of the sound, highlight the Sound by single clicking on it, and the choose "Get Resource Info" from the Resource menu or hit Command I. In the ID box, type in the correct ID number. For example it is 435 for the Browing Automatic Rifle. So, for example, you replace the number 128 with 435. Now, choose "Save" from the File menu or hit Command S and close the Info window.

6. Ok, now that you have the file coverted to the right format and have assigned it the correct ID, you can simply paste it into the Correct sound file in the Combat Mission Data Folder. Do this by double clicking one of the "Sound Effects" files insinde Combat Mission's "Data" folder. Lets use the above example. Most weapons sounds are stored in "Sound Effects 3." So, you double click that file and it is automatically opened using Resedit. You doulble click the speaker icon and that opens a list showing all the sounds stored in that file.

7. You now go back highlight the sound you already coverted in the same way as if you were going to change its ID number again and then simply choose "Copy" from the File menu.

8. Finally, you go back to the list of files displayed in the "Sound Effects 3 list and choose "Paste" from the file menu.

9. Save the changes that you made to the "Sound Effects" file and you're all set.

p.s. BTS was kind enough to label most of the files so that you can tell what they are for, but if you are wondering about a particular sound, you can simply highlight it in resedit and hit Command T to hear it.

I hope this helps people. If you have problems, don't worry. You can't screw things up too bad because you can always restore the default sounds by simply dragging all the "sound effects" files from your original CD and placing them in the Data folder on your hard drive.

pritzl

FYI a mac sound manager is in beta test as we speak. It is an expansion of the CM Mac mod manager....shhhh, can't say any more, hush hush you know....but soon.

------------------

Official 3000th poster to the original Peng thread and present at it's demise

Thanks for the help, Pritzl. Jdmorse, hurry up with that sound mod manager!

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jdmorse:

FYI a mac sound manager is in beta test as we speak. It is an expansion of the CM Mac mod manager....shhhh, can't say any more, hush hush you know....but soon.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

any news on that mac sound mod manager

can't wait

Thanks smile.gif

-tom w

mac users:

the sound manager part of MCM3 is in beta 3 test now, and with some luck will be available soon. Unfortunately we've run across some interesting events with some of the beta testers (that I cant replicate on my G3, to it makes it harder to debug)which is slowing the release process somewhat.

I also added some other new features that are being tested.

With luck, around a week and it's ready to come out.

I'll post more later this week in regards to the 'bugs' or limitations of the program.

(one major one, cant be helped right now - you have to convert the .wav files to mac sound format (system 7/8) using SoundApp. I hope to have most of the major mods converted into mac sound format for download when we release the update, but at least it's something.)

hope that answers your questions for now..

dave

------------------

History is made at night