Winterized M24 Chaffee

Here's a preview of my winterized M24 Chaffee. I think it looks nice but I'm not very pleased. I think this kind of oversprayed camouflage suits more the German tanks than the American ones. I'm little info about American camouflage procedures in winter anyway. I guess the Americans didn't have many spray guns and painted their tanks with brushes most of the time but I'm not sure about it. I'll send them to Madmatt's and a friend of mine webpages if I get a positive reponse from you.

View?u=108434&a=793366&p=28403694&Sequence=0&res=high

Hell, any mod looks good to me who lacks the skill or tools to make them myself smile.gif. I'll take it as is.

But since you want critcism, I'll say this: It seems to me that most US winter cammo was either bedsheets draped over the vehicles or whitewash liberated from occupied farms. The former doesn't seem practical for a mod and the latter was probably brushed on. And also came off fairly easily.

Thus, I think the whitewash would end up giving you a reverse shading effect. That is, it would stay on longer inside the angles, nooks, and crannies of the vehicle rather than the flat surfaces. So like where you have the Chaffee's green showing on the fender support brackets, that's where I'd expect the most white to be. Same goes for real snow accumulations.

So, if you want to improve this, perhaps you should try putting more white in the cranny areas you presently have the darkest. Otherwise, I think the coverage of the flat areas looks great. At this scale, I can't tell whether the white looks brushed or sprayed, but I think either method would result, after a bit of exposure to the elements, in a foggy, irregular, semi-translucent effect like you have here.

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

I like the snowed on look. And on the flip side, I prefer it the way it is. If you fill in the darker areas, it takes away from the vehicles characteristic angular look. Maybe not the ultimate in realism, but I enjoy the plain structure of the units as much as the fancy camo paterns. I shy away from the patterns that take away from the shaded, contrasted features of the units.

What you have there looks great. (Can I have a copy?)

Some of the best looking winterized US stuff I have seen so far. Good job.Lets get this up some where so I can DL it. OK now you need to get to work on the rest of the Allied tanks,

Dave

------------------

My front is pushed back.My right gives way.Situation Excellent! I am attacking!

Ferdinand Foch 1916

DaveT said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>OK now you need to get to work on the rest of the Allied tanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. And join up with Pritzl to avoid duplication of effort, at least at first smile.gif.

Dave

------------------

My front is pushed back.My right gives way.Situation Excellent! I am attacking!

Ferdinand Foch 1916

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html