New Sprockets released

Guest KwazyDog

Can I ask a silly questiong guys?

What are sprockets? Ive presumed they are sort of like DirectX is to PC's but have always wondered what the true story is.

Just curious, thanks wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

Hi there,

do the new sprockets constitute an improvement or should we still have to stick to the 1.7.1 version of the SoundSprockets?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea Gads! For a scientist, you sure are vague! smile.gif

Assuming that you're talking about the Apple SoundSprockets for Macintosh - I have found that version 1.0 still produces better sound than the latest 1.7.5.

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

GameSprockets 1.7.5 have SoundSprocket 1.7.1, which is the same version that came with GS 1.7.4. So for Combat Mission there's no difference whatsoever.

David

Oh, and you shouldn't be using 1.7.1 for that matter - SoundSprocket 1.0 works much better for Combat Mission. Read my post on the subject here.

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 08-31-2000).]

KwazyDog wrote:

> What are sprockets? Ive presumed they are sort of like DirectX is to PC's

Dan -

Apple's GameSprockets are not a 3D engine like DirectX. Combat Mission for Mac is based around Apple's Quickdraw 3D RAVE. RAVE has actually been discontinued, and the standard graphics language for Mac is now OpenGL.

GameSprockets are packages of code which make it easier for developers to code games for Mac. There's DrawSprocket, SoundSprocket and InputSprocket, which handle different basic elements of a Mac game. They can't be used for everything, and not everyone chooses to use them, but for certain purposes they seem to be handy.

They seem to have their problems too, though, as you may gather - there are two available versions of SoundSprocket, 1.0 and 1.7.1, and the latter sucks for CM. God knows what's going on there.

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT