Film Recomendation:

sage2

"When Trumpets Fade"

Acting: mediocre

SoundFX: mediocre

Music: mediocre

Everything else: great.

It's worth a video/dvd rental. The main character is morally complex. The story is ambiguous.

I found the level of realism is the wounds to be striking, especially considering the movie's obviously low budget. It lead to great immeseriveness. There were other small things as well: the fact that planes are only heard when the weather is clear, the combination of mortar, and direct fire artillery used to break up an infantry attack (exactly what I would have done).

It was not preachy at all. It captured a small piece of the hopelessness that must have been present in the Hurtgen forest.

Finally, the movie (without ever using a map), had what I would call "tactical consistency". Rather than being episodic, with battle scenes that fall more into the needs of the story than, the places where fighting occurs make sense given the tactical context in which the story is told. I felt like at all time I knew where the soldiers of the story were, and why they were doing what they were doing.

Lastly, it's a war story with no real heroes, but one in which extraordinary actions, fear, luck and hopeless all come together to guide the events.

Some may critisize the character of the major, however, when his character is viewed in the context of the Hurtgen forest and the lense of the main charcter, he seems less cold blooded and simply interested in ending the fight as soon as possible. Besides, everyone who watches Hollywood movies knows that all majors are assholes. (j/k)

I recomend this film.

Sage

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sage2:

"When Trumpets Fade"

Some may critisize the character of the major, however, when his character is viewed in the context of the Hurtgen forest and the lense of the main charcter, he seems less cold blooded and simply interested in ending the fight as soon as possible. Besides, everyone who watches Hollywood movies knows that all majors are assholes. (j/k)

I recomend this film.

Sage<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, good flick. If you're speaking of Dwight Yoakams' part, he was a Lt. Colonel, not a Major... smile.gif

------------------

Jon Johnson

Audio/Video Productions

Matrix Games

Saw it a few weeks back Sage2. I agree with your summary - the acting was a bit "wooden", but it did have some good action scenes. In some respects i felt it captured the "mood" of war far better than SPR. Perhaps this was because of its low-budget approach.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Although if you want an eirie look at Bulge with some silly pre-method acting thrown in, check out Battleground. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeez, I saw that on its first release. I think I was about 4 years old. The theater had hung a BAR over the entrance and there was a jeep parked in front. I thought the movie was pretty cool, but remember, I was only 4 at the time. wink.gif

Michael

Have to agree with you Micheal.I have "Battleground" in my collection.It is a far better film about the Bulge than the awful "Battle of the Bulge", even tho the battles consist of about 20 guys and no armour whatsoever is seen!

------------------

"They don't like it up em,Captain Mainwareing!"

I have to throw in my two cents about my favorite WW2 movie. Its a bit of a sleeper flick called "A Midnight Clear." It actually has a pretty strong cast including Ethan Hawke and Gary Sinise. Its not exactly an armor flick (in fact, nothing in it bigger than a HT) but it is a really great mental movie. It really depicts the emotional issues of what some of those guys in the cold ardennes forest must've been going through. I can't give too much away, but it involves an I&R platoon trying to bring in a Wehrmacht platoon that wants to surrender. I have it on tape and have watched it about a hundred times. smile.gif

Definitly recommend this one.

------------------

Check out my B-17 fiction story at:

http://www.geocities.com/cdouglasn/TFTS.html

[This message has been edited by Chuckd (edited 09-30-2000).]